Question Can a i5 9400f fit in the same case that previously had İ5 3570?

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019
I know its a bit of a dumb question but ım trying to figure out how much money ı have to save up and ı really dont want to pay for a new Case.My current build is an i5 3570 along with 1050ti.Im planning on changing this to i5 9400f along with rx 580.Would ı have to change my pc Case along with those ?

Remeca

Reputable
Depends on the case. If it's an OEM (Dell, HP, etc) case, it may have proprietary front connections. You'll need at minimum a new motherboard and ram to use that cpu. PSU should work, again unless it is an OEM, some of which don't use the 24pin motherboard plug, assuming it is strong enough and has PCIe plugs.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
You will have to get a new motherboard. You need to check if your case supports the new motherboard's form factor (ATX>micro ATX>mini ATX).
Also, check GPU headroom and max cooler height.
As Remeca mentioned, if it's a proprietary motherboard, you may have to consider a new case or even a new power supply.
EDIT: I corrected the form factor order.

Last edited:

lordofthenecklaces

Commendable
Mar 7, 2019
You will have to get a new motherboard. You need to check if your case supports the new motherboard's form factor (ATX>mini ATX>micro ATX).
Also, check GPU headroom and max cooler height.
As Remeca mentioned, if it's a proprietary motherboard, you may have to consider a new case or even a new power supply.
My current motherboard is H61M-DS2.I havent browsed any motherboards.Do you have a suggestion?One that will fit in my current case

DSzymborski

Titan
Ill probably take my case to a repair center to have it checked and see if it supports the new motherboard

That seems a lot of work for any easy thing to find out. Is it a prebuilt? That should be a fairly easy question to answer. If it's aftermarket, it'll at least fit uATX motherboards since that's what your current one is. And if it's aftermarket, do you see more standoff points on your case below where your current motherboard is installed? If you can use ATX motherboard, there will be more points below it.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Sorry I'm a bit late.
An ATX is roughly 305x244 mm (12x9.6 in), while a microATX is only 244 (9.6 in) in height (acc. to Wikipedia).
The easiest way would be to remove the side panel (usually the one you pull towards the rear of the case) and measure the distance from top/bottom to the power supply. If that's not feasible, measure the height of the case and substract about 90mm (3.5 in).