[SOLVED] Can a i5 9400f handle a 2080ti

Sep 8, 2020
Im awaiting the price drop that (hopefully) will happen when the 3000 series hits the shelves and I was wondering if I should save up more for a new cpu.
(I am also upgrading my psu so dont worry about that)

Solution
Im awaiting the price drop that (hopefully) will happen when the 3000 series hits the shelves
You waited too late, plus, it doesn't work that way.
If you want a deal on a 20 series card, you have to look 2nd hand.

When Nvidia stops production of one gen to start on another, retail prices start going up, not down.
I remember this happening when GTX 10 was stopped in anticipation of RTX 20: "Wait for price drops!" "Prices are gonna drop, just wait a bit longer.", etc.
They did the exact opposite.

Check PCPartpicker. Many of the Turing cards are either no longer available, or overpriced as heck now.
Sep 8, 2020
life is too short for waiting...
I wish but all you see on ebay is people trying to sell their 2080s for the same price you can get a 3070. Dont even get me started with big companies websites they are all holding "sales" which is just them trying to squeeze out every buck they can from the 2080s. Go ahead and buy it if you have the money but I would not advise it.

dimtodim

Reputable
I wish but all you see on ebay is people trying to sell their 2080s for the same price you can get a 3070. Dont even get me started with big companies websites they are all holding "sales" which is just them trying to squeeze out every buck they can from the 2080s. Go ahead and buy it if you have the money but I would not advise it.
I buy couple week ago new pc.. Last pc was from 2013 build... And what? Now u think its time to waint for new series because u belive old will be cheaper? Will see

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Im awaiting the price drop that (hopefully) will happen when the 3000 series hits the shelves and I was wondering if I should save up more for a new cpu.
(I am also upgrading my psu so dont worry about that)
You are asking the wrong question.

It's not a question of "does this CPU go with that GPU" or vice-versa.

The questions relevant to buying a GPU are mostly:
  • What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does your monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • And, if FreeSync, what is the FreeSync Range?
  • Are you going for high framerates, high details, or both?
  • What specific games are you playing?

The question about which specific games makes a difference, because, for a given CPU/GPU combo, with one game, the CPU could be what's holding you back, and yet, with another game on the same system, the GPU could be holding you back.

But, knowing only the CPU you have, it's impossible to say what a reasonably matching GPU would be.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Im awaiting the price drop that (hopefully) will happen when the 3000 series hits the shelves

When Nvidia stops production of one gen to start on another, retail prices start going up, not down.
I remember this happening when GTX 10 was stopped in anticipation of RTX 20: "Wait for price drops!" "Prices are gonna drop, just wait a bit longer.", etc.

Check PCPartpicker. Many of the Turing cards are either no longer available, or overpriced as heck now.

Solution

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020

Well second hand is always viable. You can get cards for less than they're worth(even accounting for the fact that they're old). It's also good for the environment. I praise people for trying to look for used. It seems pointless to buy new low end parts, when what used to be high end cards used will cost less, do better and save human manpower. There are many 20 series cards that are at near half of what they would've been bought for last year and have been taken care of.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well second hand is always viable. You can get cards for less than they're worth(even accounting for the fact that they're old). It's also good for the environment. I praise people for trying to look for used. It seems pointless to buy new low end parts, when what used to be high end cards used will cost less, do better and save human manpower. There are many 20 series cards that are at near half of what they would've been bought for last year and have been taken care of.
Maybe. But there's also the consideration of power consumption. Will the new low end part make up for the environmental impact of manufacture due to lesser power consumption?

I don't know the answer to that, and it's probably different from one card to the next, but it's still something to consider.

Sep 8, 2020

Dang lol I have not been into PCs for that long so I did not know that.

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Maybe. But there's also the consideration of power consumption. Will the new low end part make up for the environmental impact of manufacture due to lesser power consumption?

I don't know the answer to that, and it's probably different from one card to the next, but it's still something to consider.
Well the power consumption isn't that significant(plus renewable sources of power are slowly taking a larger share of the market).

The GTX 780 Ti(released in November 2013) beats the 1060-6Gb(July 2016). The 780 Ti stays below 300 Watts while gaming(and less than a tenth of that while idle). A 1060 is below 130 while gaming. This leaves a 170W difference. This is 20W less than a large(46") flat screen computer.

This is a 3 year gap, imagine the difference that one year makes(between RTX 20s and 30s)