[SOLVED] Can a leak in your loop cause your components to not stabilize in temperatures?

Aug 8, 2019
So my flow meter is leaking at the top of its fitting. My question is can it cause my loop to raise in temp and not stabilize?

Solution
Found out that EVGA included the wrong size standoff on my EVGA 2080ti Kingpin Hydro copper block that caused my pcb to bend and where the to tall standoff is raised the card so that my gpu and a row of vram were not being cooled properly!
Aug 8, 2019
Well my loop is brand new and I was testing its cooling capabilities and noticed that my 2080ti Kingpin with a Hydro copper block idles at 29c but than upon running a game like The division 2 it jumps as soon as loading into game to like 50c and steadily rises until about 72c and than black screens and i have to shut my pc down. I noticed puddle on my pc right below flow meter and no components were damaged, but upon fixing leak should i also re seat the gpu block and re paste thermal paste? I figured air was getting in or it was not air tight would be reason for gpu being unstable?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds like you have more than one issue: a leak and a poorly seated GPU block, although I don't know enough about your setup.

How is your loop setup? What is being cooled in your loop? What components are used?

Is the flow meter just a fitting or is it part of another component? Can you link to it or provide a photo?

If your loop is still running and coolant flowing and you are seeing temps above 54C? Your system won't shut down with a GPU at 72C, this is a common temp for an air cooled graphics card. Sounds like your block isn't seated very well but unless it is shorting against something, it won't cause the system to shutdown.

Can you provide the above info and anything else? Photos, perhaps?

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Aug 8, 2019
The thing is the block lined up perfectly with all the screw holes etc. I don't understand how that could be. I do believe I have more than 1 problem than leak, just was thinking it could be to much thermal paste or not enough or even air bubbles trapped in loop?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The thing is the block lined up perfectly with all the screw holes etc. I don't understand how that could be.
Good block seating is more than just lining up the holes. You have to ensure the block is making good contact with the GPU die, did you confirm that the thermal compound was spreading evenly and making a good footprint? I've had to pull plenty of GPU blocks to get them sitting just right and ensure everything is evenly tightened down.

I do believe I have more than 1 problem than leak, just was thinking it could be to much thermal paste or not enough or even air bubbles trapped in loop?

Your loop would need to be like 50% air or more and assuming you have it filled with coolant beyond this.

Is your flow meter moving, indicating flow? You aren't giving me much to work with here so I am just making assumptions based on what is being written.

Aug 8, 2019
Yes the flow meter is spinning fast and I could feel ALOT of heat coming from the top alpha cool 360 rad. I have a 360 rad and a 240rad with 5 noctua fans. Intake from the front 240 rad and out on top with 360rad. the Loop is in a meshify s2 case with A swiftech Maelstrom D5 V2 x200 res and pump. I have a flow meter and filter that is in loop. The filter is a bitspower filter. Trying to give you more info.

Aug 8, 2019
And you did include the thermal pads in the correct places for the vram and VRM's under the gpu block, and it's snugged down by opposing screws, not 1 at a time?
The thermal pads come pre applied on the 2080ti kingpin Hydro copper block and I may have snugged down some screws one at a time and not evenly? Thank you for your help!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Thank you, that info does help.

The filter is a concern, not now, but long term. You might want to consider removing this as it will be the first thing to get clogged, if any. If you are not using anything but pure distilled water, meaning using a coolant, you will likely see particulate matter collect here. Unless you are super diligent in cleaning this and refilling your loop often (like every couple months at least), I would just do away with it. Proper rinsing of radiators and blocks should help eliminate anything that would cause this to be needed.

I wouldn't think you would get a large volume of heat from a loop running dual radiators...maybe lukewarm at warmest?

Flow sounds like it's good, so that isn't an issue.

I'm also assuming your CPU temps are good? Seems like a GPU block seating issue...that would be the item I re-check very thoroughly.

I would also address the leak at the flow meter - I don't know if this is an actual leak of the unit, or if there is something incorrect with how the tubing and fittings are secured...also should check this.

The thing is the block lined up perfectly with all the screw holes etc. I don't understand how that could be. I do believe I have more than 1 problem than leak, just was thinking it could be to much thermal paste or not enough or even air bubbles trapped in loop?

Air bubbles are indeed a source of temperature instability. They tell you to run your loop a good 30 minutes to work the air bubbles out. Air over the cold plate or in the radiator would hinder it's efficiency.

But a bad mate would also cause these issues. So rubix probably has it right. I've had corsair AIO that mated horribly. I had to really crank it down and add extra paste to get a complete mate. First time I broke the knurl nut. Second unit had the exact same issue. All in all it took 5 mates.

I ran the loop with just a PSU Hooked up to power it for 24 hours. PC was not on during test.
But a bad mate would also cause these issues. So rubix probably has it right. I've had corsair AIO that mated horribly. I had to really crank it down and add extra paste to get a complete mate. First time I broke the knurl nut. Second unit had the exact same issue. All in all it took 5 mates.

Aug 8, 2019
So, I noticed abouy 20-30% of the corner had no thermal paste on it and all thermal pads had component indentations except for lower vram. I believe you all were correct, I let you know when I am done and if it fixed it! Replaced shitty Acool filter with bitspower one as well! Once again, Thank you all!

Aug 8, 2019
Found out that EVGA included the wrong size standoff on my EVGA 2080ti Kingpin Hydro copper block that caused my pcb to bend and where the to tall standoff is raised the card so that my gpu and a row of vram were not being cooled properly!

Solution