Question Can a loose pci-e adapter cause stuttering?

Sep 11, 2020
Hello, yesterday i had insane stutters in both desktop and in games, scrolling etc. However, i took the gpu out of the pci-e and then put the pci-e adapter back and it stopped stuttering. Haven't noticed those big stutters after that which is relieving. I'm still getting small stutters but that's definitely because of my cpu. Not in all games though. Just wanted to ask this because i'm pretty confused.

The only way to know for sure is to put the video card back into the PCI-e slot directly and see what happens. If it stutters again, then the answer would be "yes".

However, if it doesn't stutter again, you're back to square one because the answer would then only be "maybe".

The problem is that there are so many things that can cause stuttering in a game. Even something like a major Windows update could cause it if your PC isn't strong enough to handle it without it affecting your game.

Sep 11, 2020
My thought aswell, pretty confused but still wanted to know what i have done to fix the issue. So something must have been loose at some point. The same day that i got the stutters was when i updated the amd drivers + installed a new cpu cooler. It was fine at first but the stutter came later that day. And i might've bumped my case at some point. Might have been why. But as i said before, i took the gpu out and put it in again, and the stutters went away. Including the power cables ofcourse. I did rollback the drivers, and didn't fix it either.

Possible... Because loose connection for pcie card can lead to PCIe slot run in lower lane mode.. like may be your card is just running at pcie 3.0x4 mode instead of 3.0 x16.. so yes.. however most of the time loose connection may lead to not booting or not detecting the GPU..

And shuttering can have various reasons..
  • Like One is Pcie mode.. (may be it's running in 1.0 mode)
  • Misbehaving Application
  • Operating system
  • High background system usage...
  • Viruses
  • Failed Drivers
  • Damaged GPU..