Question Can a monitor last for 8 years without performance degradation?

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
I have to buy now a 3440x1440 monitor (from 100 to 144 hz, I haven't decided yet that it should last me 8 years) in 3 years I will buy a gpu, but not a very expensive one, this is my situation. now the questions are: is it worth changing a monitor in 8 years, or with the same dedicated gpu bought 3 years later can it last even 8 years? (before buying the dedicated gpu I use the integrated one) this assuming to take a 250/400 gpu in 3 years with a monitor taken now. I know that these are things a bit difficult to predict, but in general I ask if, taking a gpu in 3 years, it is better to take a cheap monitor for 3 years to use with the integrated gpu and then buy a dedicated monitor and gpu together and do with that monitor 5 years, or if it is convenient directly take the good monitor now. that is, in these 3 years maybe they will be able to change a few things that can make me wait to get the monitor now?

USAFRet

Titan
thank you, last question: would you prefer / would you upgrade your monitor or power supply over a period of 8 years? (regarding the monitor, consider that it will always be with the same gpu)
I would replace whatever part that breaks, or becomes substandard.

More likely to replace the power supply, but those 2 things are not exclusive.

If I'm reading your posts correctly, you are soon to enter college?
I have monitors older than you. Really.

Reactions: Grealish01

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
I would replace whatever part that breaks, or becomes substandard.

More likely to replace the power supply, but those 2 things are not exclusive.

If I'm reading your posts correctly, you are soon to enter college?
I have monitors older than you. Really.
thanks😃. Assuming to match the monitor with a gpu bought in 3 years, do you think the monitor should have some specific or some particular function?

I have to buy now a 3440x1440 monitor (from 100 to 144 hz, I haven't decided yet that it should last me 8 years) in 3 years I will buy a gpu, but not a very expensive one, this is my situation. now the questions are: is it worth changing a monitor in 8 years, or with the same dedicated gpu bought 3 years later can it last even 8 years? (before buying the dedicated gpu I use the integrated one) this assuming to take a 250/400 gpu in 3 years with a monitor taken now. I know that these are things a bit difficult to predict, but in general I ask if, taking a gpu in 3 years, it is better to take a cheap monitor for 3 years to use with the integrated gpu and then buy a dedicated monitor and gpu together and do with that monitor 5 years, or if it is convenient directly take the good monitor now. that is, in these 3 years maybe they will be able to change a few things that can make me wait to get the monitor now?
I have a 27" Asus monitor on my desk right now that is nearly 9 years old so yes. If you want something to last a long time, then my suggestion is don't buy the cheapest.

Buy the best monitor, and other parts, that fit in your current budget.
Worry about the future...in the future.

Pretty much true. Buy best monitor that match to your expectations. Then save money for good GPU when scalper/mining mental illness hype will drop. While you can avoid pouring water in your monitor (or deter cat from peeing in it), monitor will work just fine even after 8 years.

Didn't you get to a point where the gpu was better than the performance the monitor could handle?
I was only ever interested in playing games at 60hz 1080p. It's an IPS display with full coverage of the sRGB colour space, so it looked sufficiently pretty for me to not want to change it for a long time. I now have a new computer with a 3080, so changed my primary monitor to a 144Hz 1440p one after 8 years. My old one is used as a secondary display now.