Question Can a motherboard crash pc?

Mar 22, 2019
So I was wondering, is it possible for a motherboard to cause random restarts after upgrading GPU?

I have tested most components and nothing came out of it, replaced psu and ram yet my pc still randomly restarted. It works fine with my gtx 760 but crashes with 1060 (which I also replaced)

My motherboard is PCIE 2 and pretty old, I was wondering if it could be causing random restarts,

GPU: GTX 760 - (1060 Now)
MOBO: h81m-e33
RAM: DDR3 16gb
CPU: i7-4790
HDD: Samsung 1TB
Case: GALAXY EVO GAMING CASE
PSU: Corsair VS650 650 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for three passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

it may be the PSU cannot handle the extra load the GPU is requiring.
how old is the VS650? if older than three years I suggest replacement. the VS is the lowest quality units corsair sells.

Mar 22, 2019
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for three passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

it may be the PSU cannot handle the extra load the GPU is requiring.
how old is the VS650? if older than three years I suggest replacement. the VS is the lowest quality units corsair sells.
I have just bought this psu, old one was unbranded and everyone told me to buy a new one so I did, still is happening. Tried individual ram sticks, still occured. Replaced the new 1060, still crashed. Use my old 760, no random restarts. Really have no idea rn.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 1060 pulls less power than the 760, psu isn't the issue.

My bet would be on the bios. The 1060 is a uefi card, the 760 is a legacy card. In bios disable secure boot and fast start and anything enabled under the windows 8 stuff. CSM should be Auto or disabled

Mar 22, 2019

My bet would be on the bios. The 1060 is a uefi card, the 760 is a legacy card. In bios disable secure boot and fast start and anything enabled under the windows 8 stuff. CSM should be Auto or disabled
I have done those alongside some other settings. It worked for 2 days, I thought it was finally fixed however a couple of minutes ago, whilst in a call and watching a video, it just suddenly restarted again. I've put in the 760 again and its fine. I've gotten a new PSU alongside returning and replacing the GPU, I'm not sure what it could be. Unless there are other bios changes I should do. Another user told me to change the command rate, which I did and also clearing CMOS. After the first restart, it began happening more often.

Mar 22, 2019

So, I have finally fixed the problem (I hope) and this answer has helped me a lot. I'm not sure which step helped it but the way I have fixed it is through disabling legacy modes for hardware and boot etc. I upped the DRAM Voltage and updated my BIOS. My PC has been running for 5 days now and it works completely fine. Thank you for helping :))