Question Can a motherboard have a 'flaky' memory slot?

May 7, 2023
Using a X570 Aorus Pro WIFI with BIOS v F37c and trying to install an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X CPU. After install PC wouldn't post. MOBO error led's indicated RAM. Reinstalled old CPU and PC wouldn't post. Removed memory and installed some others. PC booted to Windows.

Ran AIDA64 on the memory and got a 'hardware error' after 8 seconds of tests. Removed that memory, installed the original and ran AIDA64 again to successful completion.

Removed old CPU and installed 5950X. PC wouldn't post with mobo led indicating RAM (remember AIDA64 ran good on this RAM). Removed memory stick from slot 2 and PC booted indicating either a bad stick or bad slot.

Can I be having a flaky hardware memory slot that 'sometimes' works and 'sometimes' not?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

It could also be an issue with the board or the memory controller. You vaguely mentioned an old processor, you didn't mention the model to your old CPU. Did you clear the CMOS before you dropped in the latter processor?

Might want to also mention the specs to your build, for good measure.

May 7, 2023
No, I didn't clear the CMOS. Should this be a requirement for swapping CPU's? How long does it take to clear the CMOS? I removed the battery and waited about 1 minute and after booting the BIOS was the same as before.

Sorry about the missing specs:
Original CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU ASUS RTX 4070 Super OC
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 (bought in 2019)
Corsair 850W PSU

May 7, 2023
Just out of the box from Newegg.

Was wondering now if the 5950X couldn't see the memory because of a bad 'stick' and that was the reason for no post.

Also my reply on CMOS: I've built 5 PCs and never had any issues so have never given CMOS a thought. I now have checked your info on troubleshooting and will try to reset by leaving the battery out for more than 5 minutes.

Will be leaving here for the evening and be back again tomorrow. Thanks for your help so far.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023
OK, had reinstalled the old CPU but now that wouldn't post until I removed the 16G memory stick from slot 2. PC ran fine overnight doing some BOINC processing.

Installed 5950X this afternoon figuring that since the 3900X was running good on the memory in slot 1 the 5950X should too. Installed and powered on but no post again. Installed 2 8G memory sticks in slots 1 and 2 and rebooted. This time it did boot and go to Windows with the new CPU.

Going to leave the PC overnight running some BOINC processing. Getting 2 new 32G sticks tomorrow so after I install them, I'll get back and post the results.

This is really weird.

May 7, 2023
Have been running on the 2 32G sticks since Tuesday with no issues, so the problem must be with one of the two older 16G sticks.

At least it's running now. Thanks for the help.