[SOLVED] Can a motherboard lacking an AIO_PUMP header support an AIO pump?

BreezyKun

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
I'm building a shopping list for an mATX build involving a Ryzen 7 inside a Thermaltake Core V21 case, and I want to skip the accompanying cooler for a Corsair Hydro H60. I'm planning to take advantage of a microcenter CPU/Motherboard bundle, of which they have Ryzen 7s paired with a Gigabyte B540M-HDV, Asus B450M-A/CSM Prime, and an ASRock B450M-HDV.

The problem I'm having is that none of these boards, on their spec lists, have a dedicated AIO_PUMP header, and I'm not certain if I could just plug the pump power into a CHA_FAN/SYS_FAN header. Can anyone weigh in on this? Thanks.

Solution
I'm building a shopping list for an mATX build involving a Ryzen 7 inside a Thermaltake Core V21 case, and I want to skip the accompanying cooler for a Corsair Hydro H60. I'm planning to take advantage of a microcenter CPU/Motherboard bundle, of which they have Ryzen 7s paired with a Gigabyte B540M-HDV, Asus B450M-A/CSM Prime, and an ASRock B450M-HDV.

The problem I'm having is that none of these boards, on their spec lists, have a dedicated AIO_PUMP header, and I'm not certain if I could just plug the pump power into a CHA_FAN/SYS_FAN header. Can anyone weigh in on this? Thanks.
You run an AIO Pump at 100% all the time so it will work just fine running off of an unused SATA power plug. The thing you get from a pump header is...

You run an AIO Pump at 100% all the time so it will work just fine running off of an unused SATA power plug. The thing you get from a pump header is it monitors RPM and therefore detects failure, but it's not important for operation otherwise. Then you could run the radiator fans off the CPU fan header and adjust their speed according to CPU temperature. Chassis fans off the chassis/system fan headers. That's one strategy.

I run my pump off the CPU fan header (set to constant 12V output) so it will monitor pump RPM and detect failure. The two radiator fans run off the Chassis fan header through a splitter, and the two chassis fans run off the System fan header also through a splitter. Works fine, but if you have a lot more chassis fans you might need to use the strategy above as you shouldn't run more than 2 fans off one header through a splitter.

Last edited:
Solution

BreezyKun

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
You run an AIO Pump at 100% all the time so it will work just fine running off of an unused SATA power plug. The thing you get from a pump header is it monitors RPM and therefore detects failure, but it's not important for operation otherwise.

Run the radiator fans off the CPU fan header and adjust their speed according to CPU temperature. Chassis fans off the chassis/system fan headers.

So giving it a non-mobo power source would get the job done just fine? Didn't consider that as an option, appreciate the input.