Question Can a mouse cost pc to restart

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Hi I hope this isn’t a weird question.

can a mouse (specifically wireless) cause your pc to restart? I don’t mean blue screens, just while gaming, monitors go black and pc just restarts.

I ask because this has happened twice in the past 2 months and I now noticed my mouse started to have random disconnect issues and sometimes on start up my keyboard doesn’t turn on/isn’t detected for a minute. I have had my pc for 3 years and never had an issue like this until I got this new mouse back in July.

my pc works fine otherwise. This isn’t a recurring problem, it happened tw absolutely randomly while playing destiny 2 (the only demanding game I play).

I am willing to believe the pc is shorting my motherboard causing the restart. I have moved it since yesterday to one of my hubs instead of having it directly connected to the motherboard.

it could have been my gpu driver 3060ti from evga. I did ddu and update that yesterday as well.

again I am so sorry if this is a dumb question I just figured I should ask. Thank you.

Hey there,

List your full PC specs including CPU/Mobo/Ram/PSU/case and exact model GPU.

It's possible, but unlikely a mouse (or mouse software) might cause a complete re-start like that. But, it's possible it's a hardware conflict with the mouse.

Another stronger possibility is the PSU driving your system. What you described is very like what would happen if your PSU tripped. It would just restart without warning.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Hey there,

List your full PC specs including CPU/Mobo/Ram/PSU/case and exact model GPU.

It's possible, but unlikely a mouse (or mouse software) might cause a complete re-start like that. But, it's possible it's a hardware conflict with the mouse.

Another stronger possibility is the PSU driving your system. What you described is very like what would happen if your PSU tripped. It would just restart without warning.

9900kf
3060ti ftw
Corsair lpx 32g @3000
Z390 Aorus pro with bios f12
Corsair rmx 850w 80+
Nothing oc except for ram using xmp

I thought of ocp protection but I’ve read that if ocp trips the whole system shuts down, not restarts.
I’ve also just recently since (march or april) started gaming because I didn’t have my 3060ti until this year.

it just all seems weird that I’d ocp was kicking in, it would start kicking in 5-6 months later and my pc was barely used for 3 years. I’m not sure what to think.

9900kf
3060ti ftw
Corsair lpx 32g @3000
Z390 Aorus pro with bios f12
Corsair rmx 850w 80+
Nothing oc except for ram using xmp

I thought of ocp protection but I’ve read that if ocp trips the whole system shuts down, not restarts.
I’ve also just recently since (march or april) started gaming because I didn’t have my 3060ti until this year.

it just all seems weird that I’d ocp was kicking in, it would start kicking in 5-6 months later and my pc was barely used for 3 years. I’m not sure what to think.

OCP trip can indeed restart the system as you've descirbed. But, unless the PSU is faulty, it's quite capabale of powering your system, and I wouldn't think any protections would be tripped at all.

Do you have a spare PSU you could try? Maybe go to local repair store and ge them to swap it out and test for maybe 20£$€ or so. Otherwise the only way to be sure would be to buy a new one.

As a matter of interest, did you clear CMOS after bios update? If not, try that first then report back.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
OCP trip can indeed restart the system as you've descirbed. But, unless the PSU is faulty, it's quite capabale of powering your system, and I wouldn't think any protections would be tripped at all.

Do you have a spare PSU you could try? Maybe go to local repair store and ge them to swap it out and test for maybe 20£$€ or so. Otherwise the only way to be sure would be to buy a new one.

As a matter of interest, did you clear CMOS after bios update? If not, try that first then report back.
I did with the bios the last time I updated it yea. For the spare psu I don’t but I did consider taking it to a shop.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Okay, as a path to getting a quick resolution, that me be the easiest way to get the diganosis and get it working as intended. It's a pity if it is the PSU. Yours is a pretty damn good one. Might just be a bad unit.
I hope it’s not. It’s been serving me good for 3 years so far. Would be an out of the blue shame the rails have started to lose some juice

thank you 😊

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Never seen any protection trip that didn't require the psu being unplugged/turned off first in order to reset the protection. Especially OCP.

More likely it's a driver/software conflict or possibly system file conflict with the mouse directions, shutting down Windows.

Check windows event viewer, look for red critical errors.