Can a MUGEN SCYTHE 2 ver B be removed while mounted to my X58 while still installed in my Cooler Master Case?

bonesetter

Prominent
Oct 4, 2017
I just bought an I-7 990x to upgrade my I-7 950 processor installed in my GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 ver 2 motherboard. I took both side Panels off of my Cooler Master case and all I can see is the top 2 tiny phillip head screws to the mounting plate of the Mugen 2 Cooler. I have never removed a mother board. Like yesterday I upgraded my GeForce GTX 470 Video card with a Geforce GTX 1070 8gb GDDR5 card. Youtube and forums pretty much help me through all of my upgrades. I was hoping it would be a simple swap. Is there any drivers or anything in my BIOS (FF1) that I need to do before installing the new processor? I have 6 Corsair Memory sticks DDR3 12800 1600 Mhz 8-8-8-24 1.65V ver 7.1 My O.S. is Windows 10 Pro 64 ver 1703. Sorry guys I'm pretty new to messing with this stuff myself at 45. I just finally got a stable OC to 4.00Ghz and it has been working for a month but does pathetic on the free Passmark performance test. My benchtest was only 3465. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I just do not see a way of accessing those lower two screws without removing the entire motherboard and all of the components. I'm sure I will manage but the computer is actually working really well and I'm scared that I might get in deeper than I know what I am doing and what needs to be done and what order it needs to be completed in for everything to function properly.

Solution
go to MUGEN SCYTHE's web and see if you can find the user's manual for that cooler to see how it's installed - that should tell you if you need to remove the motherboard. Some coolers employ nutplates on the back or underside of the mother board that have to be held in place while you start the screws from the top side. If that's the case, those nutplates will fall off when you unscrew the cooler

to be frank, if you've never removed or installed a motherboard, you might be best to let a shop do it for you. When you remove the cooler you'll need to clean the old thermal paste off the CPU, and put new thermal paste on. Again, find the user's manual and read it
go to MUGEN SCYTHE's web and see if you can find the user's manual for that cooler to see how it's installed - that should tell you if you need to remove the motherboard. Some coolers employ nutplates on the back or underside of the mother board that have to be held in place while you start the screws from the top side. If that's the case, those nutplates will fall off when you unscrew the cooler

to be frank, if you've never removed or installed a motherboard, you might be best to let a shop do it for you. When you remove the cooler you'll need to clean the old thermal paste off the CPU, and put new thermal paste on. Again, find the user's manual and read it

Solution