Question can a network switch or pdu block the keyboard and shut down the pc?

Apr 29, 2023
Maybe it's a silly question , but let me explain first

A colleague had an acer workstation which ended suddenly while she was typing something (most times).
I installed a new keybaord. After 2-3 days the same issue
I disabled the onboard usb ports , and installed a pci express usb card to connect keyboard/mouse. Same issue the same day
I installed my keyboard (whick working fine the last 5 years) . Same issue

So i decided to purchase a new workstation . I thought that the old one maybe had motherboard issues .but..

I installed the new one today. I setup all the necessary programs she is using, mails , veeam agent (for nas backup), printers etc

The first 2 hours of the new installation nothing happened...but we have again the same issues even with the new workstation

The only connected devices to it is the keyboard , the mouse , a vga monitor and a short utp cable from a 5port switch

Maybe it's a switch or a pdu issue because i saw a lot of power troubleshooter events and a lot of e1dexpress event 27 events

When i returned home today i tried to make an anydesk session to the new one ..But it was closed...
So i took the old one to my home also and the last 6 hours working fine without any issue

But i wonder , why the keyboard behaving strangely while this situation and somehow giving order to shutdown the computer?

Apr 29, 2023
Hello, the old workstation working fine the last 16 hours on my home. i will try to change the pdu today first of all and i will reply asap. thanks

You'd expect it to just power off for a power strip issue instead of shut down, unless it's a UPS with monitoring software.

How large is this network? All it takes is someone sending a commandline shutdown command such as shutdown /s /m \\192.168.1.xx /t 0 /f to immediately shut down the computer over the network without warning (the equivalent in Powershell is Stop-Computer -ComputerName 192.168.1.xx -Force). Or shut down the normal way or via the Anydesk toolbar as a prank. And since they aren't on your home network the workstation doesn't receive such commands there, LoL. See if it happens there with the ethernet unplugged.

e1dexpress event 27 is pretty commonly solved on Intel NICs by disabling the Energy Efficient Ethernet setting in the driver and clearing the checkbox for "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save energy" in Power Management

Reactions: Grobe