Can a Nvidia card in a Crossfire board cause problem ?

Poil

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Hello :p I'm new here !

I bought a Palit Geforce 8800GT and a P5k-e Wifi mobo.

Ive been told by one of my friend who's a technician, I shouldnt do that since its a card for ATI (supports Xfire) He says it has ATI components. ....

Now As far as I know thats not really true but id like some insight on this.

can that combination bring problems ?

jumpman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
that combination will work just fine. the only limitation you will have is that you wont be able to run a multi-gpu configuration(i.e. two 8800 GT's)

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
No, it will not cause problems.

It is just that you may not SLI on that Motherboard, only Crossfire, however running a Single GPU will not have any effect.

Poil

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Yeah when he told me that at first I really tought he was bullshitting and looks like I was right :p

Thx for the quick response !

You are correct. I have the 8800GTS G92 on my 975x board. No problems, runs like a champ. Some of those intel boards run better than nvidia boards as well. Granted you get what you pay for, just can't run SLI which is a bummer for future.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

SLI = no go, but single nVidia GPU is ok
CrossFire = good

A Technician??? let me guess a "Helpdesk technician"....... maybe at Dell? HAHA :lol:

jiasios

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
I recently bought a Gigabte 790XT AMD mobo with crossfire support. I tried to use an older card, Gigabyte 9600GT, and i faced some severe problems:

1. While installing the drivers (the latest one from nvidia site) the pc freezed. After restart the drivers seemed to be installed correctly. However, after a second restart the drivers had gone but the graphics card was yet recognised as 9600GT. After many tries the drivers have installed and stayed there. But the whole systems freezes periodically and without reason , for example while browsing or while typing a text. Is there any idea about mobo-gpu compatibility?? Is there anything else i should try?? :heink: