[SOLVED] Can a Nvidia GPU run on a freesync monitor?

Solution
Yes. However some Freesync monitors, especially earlier models still have issues such as flickering or straight up not working. Nvidia has improved compatibility great;y in the last year through drivers.

There are various lists, Nvidia has their official however if you look around reddit there are some user made ones.

I have a Viotek monitor and when I had my 1070 the only issue I had was minor screen flicker on pause screens in a couple of games.

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Depends on the monitor and GPU. There are G-Sync compatible Freesync monitors. Here is the list from Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

For example, I am using MSI Optix MAG241C display myself which is a Freesync monitor and a GTX 1060 but I can enable G-Sync compatible with no problem. GTX 10, GTX 16 and RTX 20 series cards will give an option to enable it in Nvidia Control Panel with the monitors in the list and probably much more just like mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: CorpRebel
Yes. However some Freesync monitors, especially earlier models still have issues such as flickering or straight up not working. Nvidia has improved compatibility great;y in the last year through drivers.

There are various lists, Nvidia has their official however if you look around reddit there are some user made ones.

I have a Viotek monitor and when I had my 1070 the only issue I had was minor screen flicker on pause screens in a couple of games.

Solution

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
Ah, now that you remind me I had flicker-ish issues in Rainbow Six Siege with only some screens for short periods. I did limit max frame to 140 FPS to fix that issue at that time but later probably a driver update fixed that for me. I didn't encounter any issues afterwards but my monitor is still not on the Nvidia's list just like you said.

uxcioss

Prominent
Jan 29, 2019
You can find your answer in videos like this:

In short, FreeSync is AMD, G-Sync is Nvidia. If you have a G-Sync monitor, you need an compatible Nvidia GPU to enable G-Sync. Up until recently, similar rule was applying to AMD GPUs and FreeSync monitors. But unline G-Sync, FreeSync monitors are cheap. To compete againts this, Nvidia announced that they will give support for some FreeSync monitors. That's where G-Sync Compatible coming from.

Except from G-Sync monitors are more expensive than FreeSync monitor counterparts (they have a specific part to compute adaptive syncronization meanwhile FreeSync monitors don't, "Free"sync), these two technologies are identical.

You can find your answer in videos like this:

In short, FreeSync is AMD, G-Sync is Nvidia. If you have a G-Sync monitor, you need an compatible Nvidia GPU to enable G-Sync. Up until recently, similar rule was applying to AMD GPUs and FreeSync monitors. But unline G-Sync, FreeSync monitors are cheap. To compete againts this, Nvidia announced that they will give support for some FreeSync monitors. That's where G-Sync Compatible coming from.

Except from G-Sync monitors are more expensive than FreeSync monitor counterparts (they have a specific part to compute adaptive syncronization meanwhile FreeSync monitors don't, "Free"sync), these two technologies are identical.

AMD also made Freesync open source and royalty free which reduced the cost a lot.