Question Can a one bent pin in the CPU socket attribute to the 5 beep code?

Birdster

Reputable
Aug 18, 2016
The Motherboard is an Asrock B365 Pro4 and the CPU is is an i3-9100f.
I should have taken a picture before trying to re-seat the CPU but it was a singular pin a tiny bit out of place in the top left last row (vertically).
Any advice would be helpful I might have to take in to a place where they could test all the parts associated with this problem.
It could just be a cpu falure but I would like some opinions on it.

Thanks~

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Did you connect the cpu 8pin 12v plug to the motherboard?

A bent pin can cause all sorts of problems if it's unable to make proper contact.

Which stepping is your 9100f? According to cpu support page at ASRock, UO stepping requires Bios version 4.10 and BO 4.20. Try have a look for the Bios chip, there may be a sticker saying what version it is. Im not sure where the Bios chip is though, I'll keep looking for it.

Birdster

Reputable
Aug 18, 2016
Both the CPU and main power are connected, don't know what stepping means for CPU but the full thing on the side where amazon labeled it is a Core i3 -9100F D...GA1151 300 Series 65W.
I appreciate the help
I currently here the 5 beeps when I try to boot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
5 short beeps for ASR means no graphics card detected. The 9100F has no igpu, so you'll need a gpu plugged in and working, or you'll always get those beeps.

There's multiple redundant pins on a cpu, many copies of the same pin, so you might get lucky, might not. Best bet is use a strong magnifying glass or super-reader glasses and a wooden toothpick and uber carefully straighten that bent pin to look like the others.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I s there any approximate location and size I could try to find the BIOS Chip?

Bios chip can be anywhere, quite small. I've seen them in the middle on Gigabyte boards, and seen some on the outer edges.

Stepping is the CPU version. To see which 9100f version you have, click on Ordering and Compliance in the link. The menu on the left.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-9100f-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

SRF7W BO stepping
SRF6N UO stepping

The number is on the processor but you've got thermal paste all over it i assume. There should be a number on the cpu box.

--

5 short beeps for ASR means no graphics card detected. The 9100F has no igpu, so you'll need a gpu plugged in and working, or you'll always get those beeps.

There's multiple redundant pins on a cpu, many copies of the same pin, so you might get lucky, might not. Best bet is use a strong magnifying glass or super-reader glasses and a wooden toothpick and uber carefully straighten that bent pin to look like the others.

Oh really? I thought process error had something to do with cpu. Didn't see any beep codes in the manual but looking at Asrock's faq https://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=2 and then looking what process error meant, seen some posts about cpu and or ram. http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6489&title=5-beeps-is-cpu-dead

--

Oh well hopefully it's a simple as no gpu, or maybe ram? How about the motherboard Bios version?

Birdster

Reputable
Aug 18, 2016
I thought it would boot regardless if it didn't have a GPU, it booted right up.
Thanks a ton I was going off a guide on the type of beeps and I thought it was universal.
I feel REALLY dumb.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Googled ASR beep codes. In the search process it often gives faq others have asked, ASR 5 beep code was one of them, so I hit that instead. First 5-6 things to pop-up were answers all claiming vga/no gpu error or black screen and 5 beeps etc.
Oh really? I thought process error had something to do with cpu.
It does, in a round about way. Could be any process, but the big ones are usually vga or network

Reactions: boju