Question Can a PC damage a monitor ?

Sep 16, 2021
This is the second time i broke my monitor. The first one had a white brush lines all over the screen and i can barely read the text on it. The second is one today which doesnt turn on anymore. I basic troubleshoot and nothing works. I also blew my tv when i hooked up to my pc. Smoke comes out and i heard buzz sound so i immediately unplug everything because of panic. Now im afraid to buy a new one. I dont know the cause anymore if its the computer itself, or the cord, or my extension cord outlet. Its weird

Can a PC damage a monitor ?
It is possible. Each monitor/TV has a range of vertical/horizontal frequency that works for it. If your PC sends signal outside those boundaries it could potentially damage the monitor. However that would be super rare event, as both PC software and monitor hardware have some safety features to prevent that.
This is the second time i broke my monitor (...) I also blew my tv when i hooked up to my pc.
Anything in common between those situations? Like same video cable used? Same outlet for monitor? Generally I doubt it was your PC damaging those monitors, but it certainly can be something else is how you setup them that causes those failures.

Sep 16, 2021
It is possible. Each monitor/TV has a range of vertical/horizontal frequency that works for it. If your PC sends signal outside those boundaries it could potentially damage the monitor. However that would be super rare event, as both PC software and monitor hardware have some safety features to prevent that.

Anything in common between those situations? Like same video cable used? Same outlet for monitor? Generally I doubt it was your PC damaging those monitors, but it certainly can be something else is how you setup them that causes those failures.
Im pretty sure i know what im doing. I make sure first all the cable are plugged in all tight and safe. That somehow enlighten for sure. Thank you for your response

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Something else is going on here. It's possible a really dodgy made Hdmi cable can cause a short but the ps4 should have already proven that?

Coincidence maybe. One issue is hiding something else. Replace Hdmi cable and power strip. Computer itself, there is no way the graphics card is destroying monitors. Or maybe it's that ghost in the machine. Seriously though, very unlikely it's anything pc related but other factors outside it's setting.

D

Deleted member 14196

No I do not believe it’s possible that your PC could harm a monitor. This is nothing more than a coincidence

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Extremely unlikely.

As to your GPU, the rather low-quality PSU is a very possible cause of black screens, crashing, and eventual damage to your GPU.

But if you have more questions, start your own thread with your specific specs, rather than camp out in someone else's thread with someone else's problem.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hdmi is hdmi. The cables, pins, all the same thing. Doesn't matter if it's the hdmi cable from the PS4, an aftermarket Monster cable or the cheapo that came with the TV. It's hdmi.

A cable is nothing more than a bunch of small wires. Power, signals, grounds doesn't matter, all the same wires, different colors. The only thing that matters is where they go. So if the connector puts power in the red wire, on the other end power comes out on the red pin. If the monitor is setup to receive data on the blue, and your gpu is wired wrong and puts power in the blue, you blow up the monitor.

Can a pc blow up a monitor? Absolutely yes. It stands as much chance as any other electronic item such as the PS4 of doing that. But every duck must be perfectly lined up, all the planets must be in perfect alignment and a flock of pigs must have just flown overhead for the hdmi output of the gpu to be that badly miswired, or a standard hdmi cable be that incorrectly wired etc.

What's more likely to happen is ppl jamming a hdmi cable into display port, thereby creating power going down data lines or ground lines at the monitor.

TRENDING THREADS