Can a pc start with a dead hard drive ?

AJAY03AK

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Hi there ,

Recently my hard drive died and i am going to replace it soon , but yesterday when i turned the pc on , it turned off after 2 seconds.This did not happend before , it usually freezes at the startup or i get the blue screen of death.So ....my question is , is there anything else i should worry about other than the hdd.My friend told me that even without an hdd i could enter in to the bios and i can't do it because it turns off after a moment.Is my motherboard in trouble ?

Superkoopatrooper

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

I seriously doubt a dead hdd is capable of doing that to a system. They should still be able to enter the bios, the only thing that would happen is the HDD wont show up. If the computer shuts off after they power it on, I agree that sounds either like a dead psu or a short somewhere. I've seen people use tape to hold wires down thinking it would be fine only to have it short the system a few weeks later. On the other hand, random system reboots varying between shutting off, refusing to post and blue screens is indicative of faulty ram.

- Remove one stick of ram, see if it helps. If it doesn't then just swap the ram stick used. If this causes the system to work, the issue is the ram.

Superkoopatrooper

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013

Tried googling any example of this happening and only a forum post from toms hardware showed up and it ended up being his psu. Personally, I'd assume modern hdd's have safety measures in place that prevent this kind of thing from happening. much like any other component. Sure I guess technically it's possible, but so is world peace.

It's not a fantasy. :)
HDD-recovery-01.jpg

https://tierradatarecovery.co.uk/the-symptoms-of-hard-drive-electrical-damage/

Read the fourth paragraph where it says:

"Where the TVS has been forced into short circuit it will typically be the case that the computer using that hard disk will refuse to switch-on (or alternatively will switch-on briefly but then quickly shut-down again). The hard drive now presents a direct short circuit to the computer’s power supply and in order to protect itself it the computer will switch-off."