Can A PC Use Two Different GPUs?

Elijah_11

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
So I'm going to building a new computer soon and I am going to get the MSI R9 390 graphics card, but I already have MSI Geforce 750ti that gives me the Geforce Experience. I was wondering if I could use both of those GPU's in one system for good performance and the use of Geforce Experience. I want my monitor plugged into my display but my 750ti be there adding performance into my pc how should I do this? And is it possible?

Solution
DX12 does offer a mode to game developers called "Explicit Multi-adaptor" which can potentially use two entirely different GPUs to improve performance. Here's an overview: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview

I remember a Microsoft presentation a while back which showed a demo run with improved FPS from using an Intel onboard GPU working together with a relatively high end discrete GPU, when compared to just the dicrete GPU alone. I thought would never make any tangible difference. That was, of course, a closed tech demo by Microsoft, so not a trustworthy indication of where things are heading.

Having said all that, there are only a couple of titles which actually implement Explicit...
DX12 does offer a mode to game developers called "Explicit Multi-adaptor" which can potentially use two entirely different GPUs to improve performance. Here's an overview: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview

I remember a Microsoft presentation a while back which showed a demo run with improved FPS from using an Intel onboard GPU working together with a relatively high end discrete GPU, when compared to just the dicrete GPU alone. I thought would never make any tangible difference. That was, of course, a closed tech demo by Microsoft, so not a trustworthy indication of where things are heading.

Having said all that, there are only a couple of titles which actually implement Explicit Multi-adapter and in those, with the huge performance difference between a 750ti and 390, you're very unlikely to see worthwhile gains in even those few titles. So while technically possible, it's not really practically worthwhile.

Solution