Question Can a power surge lower performance while not outright killing a pc?

Jan 21, 2019
So my away and hometown is getting some wind and ive been told the power in my neighborhood has gone on and off a few times. My pc was still plugged in but through a surge protector. Is it likely to be ok and when i get back how can i know for sure if it is?

When a pc gets electrical damage is it either it works/doesnt work or can performance be lowered even if it boots up and seems to work?

Sorry if this is dumb, i worry about this kind of thing a lot and cant find a clear answer online. I want to know im getting the most out of my pc as i paid good money for it

DaleH

Notable
Mar 24, 2023
So my away and hometown is getting some wind and ive been told the power in my neighborhood has gone on and off a few times. My pc was still plugged in but through a surge protector. Is it likely to be ok and when i get back how can i know for sure if it is?

When a pc gets electrical damage is it either it works/doesnt work or can performance be lowered even if it boots up and seems to work?

Sorry if this is dumb, i worry about this kind of thing a lot and cant find a clear answer online. I want to know im getting the most out of my pc as i paid good money for it
I would say that either case could happen. It would possible for either to happen, although I'd guess that catastrophic damage could be more likely. It will remain one of the great mysteries of life.

Jan 21, 2019
I would say that either case could happen. It would possible for either to happen, although I'd guess that catastrophic damage could be more likely. It will remain one of the great mysteries of life.
Ah damn, so nobody knows if a surge can lower performance while leaving the pc largely intact?

Nothing is 100% failproof but a good quality surge protector has a better chance of protecting your equipment. Sensitive or costly equipment, such as computers, displays and audio/video equipment, warrants a surge protector joule rating of at least 1500, preferably 2000 and above.

Jan 21, 2019
Nothing is 100% failproof but a good quality surge protector has a better chance of protecting your equipment. Sensitive or costly equipment, such as computers, displays and audio/video equipment, warrants a surge protector joule rating of at least 1500.
What about when protection fails? Will my pc just not power on or should i look for lowered performance/fps?

Jan 21, 2019
When protection fails, there might be component damage. Nobody can say for sure what kind of impact it makes until you check it physically, but performance loss could be one of the possibilities
Damn, i waa hoping if it turned on and seemed to function is fine. Idk how to make sure it is ok, this is gonna make me anxious and paranoid im afraid.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes: performance can be lowered.

Power outages/losses can corrupt files.

Does not necessary mean that all comes to a stop. System still manages to work but just not as it should.

Run "dism" and "sfc /scannow". Either one or both tools may fix some issues with file corruption.

Easy to do and will help eliminate possible causes.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Side note:

When we have thunderstorms, power issues etc. my SOPs are to shut down and unplug computers and peripherals.

Especially at the first signs of "on", "off", "on", "off power conditions.

= = = =

And I must ask: do you have backups?

What specific things do i look for? I have a habit of overthinking things and being paranoid about this kind of stuff. Im worried ill think my pc is slightly slower when, in reality, nothing has changed.
Latency, lag, freeze, crash, noise, overheating, increase in boot time, etc...etc. As mentioned above, you will know if you feel a difference, ofcourse without being paranoid. There is no solution to paranoia if you imagine tings as real that doesnt exist.