can a printer be connected to two different network with USB and LAN without any security concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2018
Hello guys!!

I have an doubt regarding a printer in an network,

There is Pc in private network and a printer is connected to it via lan (Wired connection) and there is an internet pc and i am thinking of connecting the printer to the internet pc via USB, the doubt is will the private address assigned to that printer will be advertised/known to the outside world and the whole private range and network will be compromised?

Thanks in advance

Ralston18

Titan
Clarify:

The printer is currently connected to the router via a LAN port on the router. The printer most likely now has an assigned static IP address and can be accessed by computers within the network.

And your plan is to take the printer off of the network and connect the printer to the internet pc via a USB port on the internet pc. And then make the printer a shared printer and, as shared, still availble to other network computers.

Correct? If so, the printer will no longer have an IP address per se.

But the internet pc (and any other computer on the network with internet access for that matter) would still be vulnerable.

Nov 6, 2018
Hey Ralston18,

Thanks for your Reply

I'm connecting both the private network pc and internet pc to the same printer via USB(Internet pc,its a standalone pc) and LAN(Private network pc, printer will be shared here) and will be using simultaneously is it Vulnerable? will the devices in the private networks are at risk..?

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following line diagram show the planned connectivity:

ISP --> internet PC [USB port] ---> [USB port] Printer [LAN port] ---ethernet cable -->[LAN port]Private network router [LAN ports]--->other network devices

It would be helpful to know the make and model printer. For the most part I am not aware of any particular vulnerabilities per se. However,
there may be some additional comments and questions based on both your planned connectivity and/or the printer itself.

May 13, 2021
I have a usb printer that I want to sharebetween a ethernet linked pc and a standalone pc. Is there a way to like a server dongle that exit both direct usb and lan?

Status
Not open for further replies.