[SOLVED] Can a PSU affect system performance?

Nov 8, 2019
Hi there! I have a system that is under performing (I compared it to benchmarks on youtube, on forums, and to my friends' systems with the same specs). I have a Ryzen 5 2600 + RX 570. I am using a PSU with a 350W rated power. I was just wondering if this could be the reason as to why I am getting bad performance from my system?
I only get around 40-60 FPS on Fortnite/GTAV/Apex Legends and that's on med-high settings. While others get around 80-100+ FPS on the same games and thats on the highest settings possible. I have tried everything to isolate if a hardware is causing it and they all seem to be working just fine. Now the only thing I am left with is my 350W PSU. Thanks a lot!

Things I have tried:
  • Enabled XMP (even tried to manually set the timings)
  • BIOS Update
  • DDU over and over again
  • Tried upgrading and downgrading GPU drivers
  • Updating to the latest mobo chipset and other drivers (LAN, RAID, etc..)
  • Scan for Viruses and Malware
  • Even tried to play with Wattman a bit
  • Upgrading/downgrading Windows
  • Even with VSync off, I still get <60-50fps
After all these, nothing changed. I feel like the only thing I am left with is my PSU.

Solution
Yes the 350W PSU is causing an issue. The required minimum of the RX 570 is a 450W. The amount of power pulled from the RX 570 is about 300W and since the 2700x definitely requires more than 50W you're basically bottle-necking your components of their required power. Plus a psu outputs less amount of power the more it reaches 100% utilization since there is more power-loss the more the power is converted from A//C to D/C currents.
Yes the 350W PSU is causing an issue. The required minimum of the RX 570 is a 450W. The amount of power pulled from the RX 570 is about 300W and since the 2700x definitely requires more than 50W you're basically bottle-necking your components of their required power. Plus a psu outputs less amount of power the more it reaches 100% utilization since there is more power-loss the more the power is converted from A//C to D/C currents.

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Hi there! I have a system that is under performing (I compared it to benchmarks on youtube, on forums, and to my friends' systems with the same specs). I have a Ryzen 5 2600 + RX 570. I am using a PSU with a 350W rated power. I was just wondering if this could be the reason as to why I am getting bad performance from my system?
I only get around 40-60 FPS on Fortnite/GTAV/Apex Legends and that's on med-high settings. While others get around 80-100+ FPS on the same games and thats on the highest settings possible. I have tried everything to isolate if a hardware is causing it and they all seem to be working just fine. Now the only thing I am left with is my 350W PSU. Thanks a lot!

Things I have tried:
  • Enabled XMP (even tried to manually set the timings)
  • BIOS Update
  • DDU over and over again
  • Tried upgrading and downgrading GPU drivers
  • Updating to the latest mobo chipset and other drivers (LAN, RAID, etc..)
  • Scan for Viruses and Malware
  • Even tried to play with Wattman a bit
  • Upgrading/downgrading Windows
  • Even with VSync off, I still get <60-50fps
After all these, nothing changed. I feel like the only thing I am left with is my PSU.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-09 12:03 EST-0500

Nov 8, 2019
Avoid the EVGA BV. The S12ii is a rather ancient PSU design, however it is solidly built.
If the only options are those 2, take the S12ii and it will hold up fine.

Can you link your preferred online retailer so we can see what is available to recommend.

hharriswilliam

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I recently purchased a CX650M Corsair PSU, upgrading from a CX430M.

I currently run a Ryzen 5 3600, no OC.
16 GBs of Gskill Ripjaws V Red @ 3200mhz.

I was having a ton of issues configuring the XMP profile, with the 430M, considering how old it was cause I moved it from a 2012 system. It kept rebooting on the Windows Startup screen, regardless if I OC'd or not. So I'd recommend getting a 600W+ if you're gonna upgrade your graphics card or anything.