Can a PSU cause Blue Screen of Death ?

Mukachaka

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
My psu is very noisy and getting more noisier when PC handles a 3D graphic games or Adobe programs. A few weeks ago, the bsod appeared and stayed at 100% whilst I played a graphic game, and I was unable to boot windows while a message hard drive was damaged shown up with blue screen. The noise of PSU still exists even after formatting windows.
The PSU and GPU model I use are FSP 500W and GTX1060 3gb respectively.
If I switch the PSU to another model, would it be solved ?
It's too expensive to change whole components.

Solution
500w is more than enough for a GTX1060.
The fact that the fan is noisy indicates that the psu is working hard to supply power.
I might suspect that your psu is failing.

That said, insufficient power to the gpu will first appear as artifacts on the display.

If the problem happens with just one game, look for game patches.

Is your graphics card driver current?

If you end up thinking psu is the problem, see if you can't borrow a known good psu to test with.

Failing that, buy a top quality psu from a place with good return policy.
A 15% restocking fee is reasonable.
The Seasonic focus line is very good quality.
Here is one list of quality:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

InvalidError

Titan
While it is possible for a dying PSU to cause BSODs from excessive supply noise, it is more common for failing PSUs to cause the system to randomly shutdown or reboot when hardware detects an invalid state somewhere.

Fortron makes a wide range of PSUs from passable to very good, it may help to be more specific about the model number than just the brand and output rating.

500w is more than enough for a GTX1060.
The fact that the fan is noisy indicates that the psu is working hard to supply power.
I might suspect that your psu is failing.

That said, insufficient power to the gpu will first appear as artifacts on the display.

If the problem happens with just one game, look for game patches.

Is your graphics card driver current?

If you end up thinking psu is the problem, see if you can't borrow a known good psu to test with.

Failing that, buy a top quality psu from a place with good return policy.
A 15% restocking fee is reasonable.
The Seasonic focus line is very good quality.
Here is one list of quality:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Solution
I'd probably first try doing things to rule out other hardware. Run Prime95 or something to make sure it's not a heavy CPU load causing BSOD. Run a memory test to make sure your RAM is okay. Possibly a hard drive scan, too. Also try doing a GPU torture test that doesn't involve the CPU.

InvalidError

Titan

A noisy fan as in grinding noise mainly means that its bearings may be worn out. Noisy as in air-whipping can simply be due to dust accumulation on the fan blades reducing the fan's effectiveness which makes the speed control knock RPM up and airflow disruption compounding the noise increase.

A large difference in PSU intake vs exhaust temperature would be more indicative of how "hard" the PSU is working.

I had an Antec PSU trigger anti-surge on my previous PC's motherboard and the problem turned out to be a clogged PSU air intake filter.