Question Can a PSU damage a mobo in this way?

Chrisvro

Reputable
Dec 4, 2019
Hey guys, recently my motherboard (Asrock z490 Aqua) stopped working properly after a year. It suddenly started having an issue where the NVME SSDs would drop out under extended transfers. Long story short, I RMAd the board, and they were able to replicate the fault, thus proving the motherboard was the sole cause of this issue. But what I am starting to wonder, is it possible that the PSU could have somehow damaged the mobo in some way thus creating that issue? My main concern is that it will damage my new motherboard in a similar way. Or is it more likely that if the PSU had an underlying issue, the PSU would kill itself before killing the mobo, or that it would just completely kill the board, not “sort of” damage it. Of course this is a bit of a hope and guessing game, but I’m hoping someone who knows a little bit more than me can give me a guess, and whether I should bother replacing the PSU or not. The PSU is the Corsair RM850, so definitely not a “bad” PSU. I also thought I’d mention that there have been a few reports of that exact motherboard stop working properly after a short time. Just something else to take into consideration. Thanks guys :D

-Christian

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey guys, recently my motherboard (Asrock z490 Aqua) stopped working properly after a year. It suddenly started having an issue where the NVME SSDs would drop out under extended transfers. Long story short, I RMAd the board, and they were able to replicate the fault, thus proving the motherboard was the sole cause of this issue. But what I am starting to wonder, is it possible that the PSU could have somehow damaged the mobo in some way thus creating that issue? My main concern is that it will damage my new motherboard in a similar way. Or is it more likely that if the PSU had an underlying issue, the PSU would kill itself before killing the mobo, or that it would just completely kill the board, not “sort of” damage it. Of course this is a bit of a hope and guessing game, but I’m hoping someone who knows a little bit more than me can give me a guess, and whether I should bother replacing the PSU or not. The PSU is the Corsair RM850, so definitely not a “bad” PSU. I also thought I’d mention that there have been a few reports of that exact motherboard stop working properly after a short time. Just something else to take into consideration. Thanks guys :D

-Christian
I also would think just a motherboard problem.

Reactions: Chrisvro

-Christian

As the others have pointed out, it's the mobo. To answer your other question, no, a PSU will not cause issues like that. A bad PSU could potentially fry a mobo, and/or other components. But it would be highly unlikely a PSU would cause random drop outs of SSD's.

The RM/RMx/RMi are some of the better PSU's out there. Made with quality parts and comes with a 7year warranty. Top stuff.

Reactions: Chrisvro

Chrisvro

Reputable
Dec 4, 2019
As the others have pointed out, it's the mobo. To answer your other question, no, a PSU will not cause issues like that. A bad PSU could potentially fry a mobo, and/or other components. But it would be highly unlikely a PSU would cause random drop outs of SSD's.

The RM/RMx/RMi are some of the better PSU's out there. Made with quality parts and comes with a 7year warranty. Top stuff.
What on earth would cause one’s motherboard to develop an issue like this after only a year of normal use?? Obviously there is no straight answer but do you have any ideas? Definitely wasn’t caused by user error.