[SOLVED] Can a RM650 Handle a 3070ti and Ryzen 5800X?

Jan 14, 2022
Hello,

2 Questions really.
  1. Can a RM650 handle a 3070 ti and Ryzen 5800x with no overclocking? I have my PC specs in my signature to give an idea of other components in my system.
  2. Would I need to update my Bios since I'm upgrading from a Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 7 5800X?

If any further information is required I'm happy to provide it :) !

Jan 14, 2022
Definitely update the BIOS before installing new CPU.

Yep will do. Just freaks me out because I'm terrified of that type of stuff. I just KNOW that I'm going to be one of the unlucky people who has something go wrong during the process.
In fairness though, if I'm gonna have to update it I might just say screw it and go for the 5900x as I believe that is also 105watts and gives better performance overall?

Yep will do. Just freaks me out because I'm terrified of that type of stuff. I just KNOW that I'm going to be one of the unlucky people who has something go wrong during the process.
In fairness though, if I'm gonna have to update it I might just say screw it and go for the 5900x as I believe that is also 105watts and gives better performance overall?
It's pretty straightforward to update BIOS.

The 5800x is a great CPU.

Don't worry. BIOS update takes like....30 seconds.

Just don't update your BIOS during a lightening storm or something.

I also don't know why a requisite BIOS update would motivate you to up-spend from a 5800X to a 5900X. 5900X isn't going to be much/any better for gaming. If you're someone that needs a 24 thread CPU for their productivity workloads, you'd know it.

Reactions: drivinfast247
Jan 14, 2022
Don't worry. BIOS update takes like....30 seconds.

Just don't update your BIOS during a lightening storm or something.

I also don't know why a requisite BIOS update would motivate you to up-spend from a 5800X to a 5900X. 5900X isn't going to be much/any better for gaming. If you're someone that needs a 24 thread CPU for their productivity workloads, you'd know it.

Alright thank you, that's made me feel better now haha. I live in the Welsh Countryside and powercuts are fairly common so I just always assume the worst when it comes to things like this.
As for the motivation behind getting a 5900X, I'm not sure. I'm extremely indecisive and VERY impulsive when it comes to computer parts. 😁
Will just stick with getting the 5800X at some point in the coming weeks.

Hello,

2 Questions really.
  1. Can a RM650 handle a 3070 ti and Ryzen 5800x with no overclocking? I have my PC specs in my signature to give an idea of other components in my system.
  2. Would I need to update my Bios since I'm upgrading from a Ryzen 5 3600 to a Ryzen 7 5800X?
If any further information is required I'm happy to provide it :) !
If you already have the psu keep it.
If your buying a psu bump it out 100w+.

Jan 14, 2022
If you already have the psu keep it.
If your buying a psu bump it out 100w+.

Unfortunately I'm broke at the moment. My thought process was: get the new CPU, use it for a week or so then buy a new PSU. I mainly asked if it could handle it just to see if I could use it in the period where I'm saving up money to get a new PSU.