Can a router/modem get a virus?

gamer128

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
This is something I have always wondered. Can your router or even your modem contract a virus? Wouldn't it have to be designed specifically for that router/modem? If it does is there even a way to remove it? I have wondered this for a while, mine doesn't though, I am just curious.

josh-advancedtech

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
It may theoretically be possible but I've never heard of it in over 10 years of tech work. Most the time what happens is that some type of bot canvases your particular cable network and will detect what if anything you have for security beyond the modem. If there is a router you are normally safe, if there is nothing then it can use your machine or just settings from your network to broadcast a signal for use of spyware and other malware.

There's so many hardware versions not to mention software/firmware versions for modems and routers it probably not worth anyone's time.

Yes, unless someone were targeting a specific company and had inside information about the brand of equipment. . .

josh-advancedtech

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

yeah, very true. people seem to be more worried about system infection though. I think this is definitely possible, but honestly dont think it would happen. But i've been wrong before. haha