[SOLVED] Can a Seasonic S12III 650W Bronze handle a Zotac 2080ti?

Oct 14, 2019
I am looking to upgrade my GPU and wanting to know if i will need a PSU upgrade as well. My first build has a Seasonic S12III 650W Bronze PSU powering a Zotac 2070 GPU. I have gotten complacent and decided to upgrade to a Zotac 2080TI since i found a good deal. When i look up my build in PC PP, it shows an estimated wattage of 444W but i have seen some other articles saying i may need an upgrade. Any help for the experts would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to shell out the cash without knowing it will work!

thanks in advance!

Solution
The Seasonic S12-III will power that pc, the question is, just for how long. While it may be branded as a Seasonic, it's not built by Seasonic, but subcontracted out to RSY, who has done an abysmal job of putting it together. It's in no way a worthy successor to the venerable S12-II series. In fact just the opposite. It's closer to a psu shaped doorstop than an actual psu.

Top that off with the high, instant demands from a card like a 2080ti, and it's a recipe for disaster, probably sooner, not later.

You are looking to get one of the most expensive consumer gaming gpus on the planet. It's going to require a psu that's worthy of powering it, and doing so well. Corsair RM (2019), Corsair RMx (2018), Evga G2, Seasonic Focus Plus, or...
Oct 14, 2019
What are the rest of your system specs? I would upgrade it to at least a 750w gold rated Seasonic, Corsair RMx, or Evga G2/G3. The 2080ti can get quite power hungry, under a load.

Thanks for the insight. Rest of my build is below.. I was hoping i would get away without upgrading the PSU as well but might need to just go ahead and do it.

NZXT Kraken X52
NZXT Aer RGB 2 120mm Fan
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
i5-9600K 6-Core 3.7 GHz
Team T-FORCE Delta RGB 16GB
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
RGB LIGHTING KIT

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Seasonic S12-III will power that pc, the question is, just for how long. While it may be branded as a Seasonic, it's not built by Seasonic, but subcontracted out to RSY, who has done an abysmal job of putting it together. It's in no way a worthy successor to the venerable S12-II series. In fact just the opposite. It's closer to a psu shaped doorstop than an actual psu.

Top that off with the high, instant demands from a card like a 2080ti, and it's a recipe for disaster, probably sooner, not later.

You are looking to get one of the most expensive consumer gaming gpus on the planet. It's going to require a psu that's worthy of powering it, and doing so well. Corsair RM (2019), Corsair RMx (2018), Evga G2, Seasonic Focus Plus, or better 650w - 750w.

You are looking at upto 300w gpu, 100-200w cpu, 100w everything else as about maximums, a 650w would be minimum recommend.

Solution
I am looking to upgrade my GPU and wanting to know if i will need a PSU upgrade as well. My first build has a Seasonic S12III 650W Bronze PSU powering a Zotac 2070 GPU. I have gotten complacent and decided to upgrade to a Zotac 2080TI since i found a good deal. When i look up my build in PC PP, it shows an estimated wattage of 444W but i have seen some other articles saying i may need an upgrade. Any help for the experts would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to shell out the cash without knowing it will work!

thanks in advance!

It's not ideal. It may shut down under heavy loads. At the very least, it's going to make a lot of transformer noise ("coil whine") while gaming.

Oct 14, 2019

You are looking to get one of the most expensive consumer gaming gpus on the planet. It's going to require a psu that's worthy of powering it, and doing so well. Corsair RM (2019), Corsair RMx (2018), Evga G2, Seasonic Focus Plus, or better 650w - 750w.

You are looking at upto 300w gpu, 100-200w cpu, 100w everything else as about maximums, a 650w would be minimum recommend.

Thank you! I will be upgrading the PSU as well. appreciate you quick and thoughtful responses here. Yall are the best.