Can a server case house a desktop motherboard?

ExcelsiorVFX

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
I want to build a machine for a mobile unit that can hold a server case. However, I would like to use a desktop motherboard and its respective components to prevent any issues. The computer will be under standard desktop use.

Can I purchase a server case (that can be mounted in the mobile unit) and put a desktop motherboard in it? Are there any differences from a measurement standpoint between a server motherboard and a desktop motherboard?

Thanks! I'm sorry if this topic is a little basic for this forum, but I want to make sure I don't purchase incompatible parts.

Solution
A rackmount server case typically won't have enough height to hold most consumer oriented CPU coolers, and may or may not fit a full-height GPU. So that's the first thing to consider.

Server motherboards are typically a standard form factor like ATX, but that's not always the case, particularly when buying one pre-built. If the case you're using was sold as a case (and not as a complete system) it will almost certainly fit a standard ATX or possibly mATX motherboard. If it was sold as a complete server, it might fit one and it might not (just like trying to put a new motherboard in a Dell, HP, Acer, etc. prebuilt desktop).

kanewolf

Titan
You should be able to use a desktop motherboard. The biggest problems will be the fact that a 2U server case (most typical case) will not have height for a normal desktop CPU cooler and won't have room for your graphics card (again because of height). If you find a 4U or 5U server case, then the height restrictions are not so much of a problem.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
A rackmount server case typically won't have enough height to hold most consumer oriented CPU coolers, and may or may not fit a full-height GPU. So that's the first thing to consider.

Server motherboards are typically a standard form factor like ATX, but that's not always the case, particularly when buying one pre-built. If the case you're using was sold as a case (and not as a complete system) it will almost certainly fit a standard ATX or possibly mATX motherboard. If it was sold as a complete server, it might fit one and it might not (just like trying to put a new motherboard in a Dell, HP, Acer, etc. prebuilt desktop).

Solution