Can a shorted MoBo damage other components?

Jul 11, 2018
I recently shorted my first ever MoBo (don't ask) so I had to swap it along with the fan hub (that's the cause, I plugged the fan hub to the chassis speakers at jfp2) but it still wouldn't boot, the first MoBo literally wouldn't power up at all, the second one I got is a strict series so it has lights and everything. When I plugged it in everything would work unlike the shorted MoBo, fans light but no signal, I took out the GPU and tried my friend's RAM, it didn't work, I wanted to try his CPU but we didn't have thermopaste, could it be the CPU was damaged by the shortage and it's not only the MoBo? Could it also be a combo of hardware malfunction such as the CPU and the RAM? Hopefully nothing had happened but I'm returning my motherboard and CPU to get a replacement, if it doesn't boot after that what should I do?

Jul 11, 2018
Sorry@ jay32267 I flipped my head off trying to "reply" to you but couldn't find the button, so I hope you see this.
Matter of fact I do have those light (well in the new MoBo that I bought the old one is completely dead)
I think this is called the post test? Correct me if I'm wrong.
The CPU indicator looks fine, it lights on the it moves to the DRAM it says lit for an extended period of time then it turns off, but doesn't continue the check for the VGA or the boot.
Could that be the problem?