[SOLVED] Can a single 1050TI max out games at low resolution?

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
I'm kinda short on money these days and I found a used 1050 ti 3gb version, will I be able to run modern games at ULTRA at 1440*900 monitor, I'm aware this card won't max out games at full HD, but what about this resolution, I'm ditching my old Nvidia 460gtx for this one .

Win 10 home x64
500 watt trust brand psu
6gb ram ddr3
core i5 Sandy bridge 3.2 ghz

Solution
a 1650 Ti is more powerful than a 1050 Ti and more or less that of between a 1060 and a 1060 Ti.
It would be better for sure, but you're still not gonna max out graphic settings.
But you could play at 1080p on the high preset and get an average 60fps.

Let me inform you that "max graphics" isn't a real world thing, and is completely and utterly useless.
You don't NEED to play with graphics maxed. Nobody does.
It's strictly there for benchmark purposes and to make video trailers from.
Because most of the graphic settings that you can max out stop yielding any real visual results after a certain level and only tank your frame rates.

The high preset is the preset that the game developer created to make the game look it's best without...
I'm kinda short on money these days and I found a used 1050 ti 3gb version, will I be able to run modern games at ULTRA at 1440*900 monitor, I'm aware this card won't max out games at full HD, but what about this resolution, I'm ditching my old Nvidia 460gtx for this one .

Win 10 home x64
500 watt trust brand psu
6gb ram ddr3
Short answer, no it cant atleast at 60fps. You'd be expecting at around 30-40fps but if that isnt an issue then yes you can.

Really dependant on the game but in general no.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If it's 4GB then only one thing left to say.
Don't buy a graphics card unless it's of the following brand names.

For NVIDIA:
EVGA
ASUS
Gigabyte
MSI
PNY
Zotac

For AMD:
ASUS
Gigabyte
MSI
XFX
ASRock

Any other graphics card that is of some weird no name looking Chinese sort of deal is a big red flag.

You cannot run modern AAA titles at 45fps or more with max settings. Heavy hitter titles will not run well.

I do not recommend running lower than 1080p.
While you can game at 720p, it's really bad.

But, if you plan on lowering resolution that low, you won't get any benefit from max graphics as anything you would notice visually will be completely destroyed and lost in the garbage mess that is low resolution.

You are better off playing games at 1080p with a mix of medium and high settings and having it look like it would on a PS4 at an average of 60fps (depending on title. RE3 would be fine, PUBG however might not like that very much, and you should play on low with higher frame rates anyways)

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
If it's 4GB then only one thing left to say.
Don't buy a graphics card unless it's of the following brand names.

For NVIDIA:
EVGA
ASUS
Gigabyte
MSI
PNY
Zotac

For AMD:
ASUS
Gigabyte
MSI
XFX
ASRock

Any other graphics card that is of some weird no name looking Chinese sort of deal is a big red flag.

You cannot run modern AAA titles at 45fps or more with max settings. Heavy hitter titles will not run well.

I do not recommend running lower than 1080p.
While you can game at 720p, it's really bad.

But, if you plan on lowering resolution that low, you won't get any benefit from max graphics as anything you would notice visually will be completely destroyed and lost in the garbage mess that is low resolution.

You are better off playing games at 1080p with a mix of medium and high settings and having it look like it would on a PS4 at an average of 60fps (depending on title. RE3 would be fine, PUBG however might not like that very much, and you should play on low with higher frame rates anyways)
So isn't worth it then? what about 1650 to

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
a 1650 Ti is more powerful than a 1050 Ti and more or less that of between a 1060 and a 1060 Ti.
It would be better for sure, but you're still not gonna max out graphic settings.

Let me inform you that "max graphics" isn't a real world thing, and is completely and utterly useless.
Because most of the graphic settings that you can max out stop yielding any real visual results after a certain level and only tank your frame rates.

The high preset is the preset that the game developer created to make the game look it's best without going absolutely mental with sliders to the degree of absurdity.

So yeah, high preset, 1080p, 60fps on average.
Looks good, plays good.

If you want to start maxing out graphic settings and still getting playable frame rates with at least 1080p, you're gonna be buying at least a $400 graphics card. sorry. maybe $350 if you're lucky.

Solution

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020

The high preset is the preset that the game developer created to make the game look it's best without going absolutely mental with sliders to the degree of absurdity.

Looks good, plays good.

If you want to start maxing out graphic settings and still getting playable frame rates with at least 1080p, you're gonna be buying at least a $400 graphics card. sorry. maybe $350 if you're lucky.
OK tnx, does it need pins or it gets its power from pci slot?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
many 1050 ti models do not need extra power. and many 1650 cards also need no extra power.

there is no 1650 ti for desktop i believe it is only mobile. desktop has a 1650 or 1650 super and either is not a bad jump from what you have now. but as others have noted, your not gonna max things out with it and get high frames.

i have a 1650 super and easily play at 1080p with good frame rates though i don't care for all the eye candy so some of it is at medium settings which still looks good.

at 900p as you asked about, you should easily get by with a 1650 at the high setting. but again all the extra fluff that means "ultra" will bog it down quickly.

Looks good, plays good.

I agree with your assessment on the 1050 Ti and 1650 and how they will play at the resolutions mentioned, but I disagree with your very broad statement about Ultra settings. Not sure if you were exaggerating to make a point or not, but Ultra is not just "there for benchmark purposes and to make video trailers from." Yes, in the context of the graphics card that he is trying to purchase and the resolution he wants to use at Ultra settings it doesn't make sense, but there most certainly are situations where Ultra does make sense:

a) You care more about visual quality than frame rates
b) You have more graphical horsepower than you need for a given resolution
c) You have a VRR monitor and frame rate dips aren't the end of the world

Also, Ultra and high work differently in different games. In some games Ultra is just a cranked up version of high (as you mentioned), in others it adds in certain effects into a scene that aren't there in high. If you care about how the game appears more than frame rates, Ultra might be a legitimate option at times. The key is to try different options and see what works best for you.

Not trying to derail this thread or disrespect you, I just don't want people's perceptions colored by a certain way of thinking. If he wants, he should experiment with Ultra settings on the games that he plays with and the hardware that he ends up with and decide for himself whether its right for him.

Win 10 home x64
500 watt trust brand psu
6gb ram ddr3

The 1650 Super is probably your best option if you are budget limited. Stuff like the 1660 Super and 2060 KO will give you more and more headroom for more graphically advanced games and higher settings, but the price tags reflect the difference.

Looking at your specs, I noticed your RAM. If you can afford it, I would also try to get your RAM up to at least 8 GB. 8 GB is considered the minimum these days and having 6 GB may hold you back.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
To elaborate on RTX 2080's post about RAM, I'm sure they mean dual channel (2x4GB sticks) rather than a single 8GB stick.
While more RAM is important, speed is also important. :)

And yes, I didn't elaborate very well in regards to the max settings VS high settings thing.
It definitely varies depending on game, but what I meant was that in most cases, in regards to "certain" graphic settings, setting the slider to max does practically nothing for you visually except to lower the frame rate.
At 1080p in a lot of cases, these certain kinds of settings don't have much visual difference, and what little difference they have isn't worth the performance hit.

That's what I was trying to get at.
And also to say that while the high preset in a modern AAA title isn't ultra/max settings, it's not bad looking by any means and typically looks better than current gen consoles, which look really good already.

To elaborate on RTX 2080's post about RAM, I'm sure they mean dual channel (2x4GB sticks) rather than a single 8GB stick.
While more RAM is important, speed is also important. :)

And yes, I didn't elaborate very well in regards to the max settings VS high settings thing.
It definitely varies depending on game, but what I meant was that in most cases, in regards to "certain" graphic settings, setting the slider to max does practically nothing for you visually except to lower the frame rate.
At 1080p in a lot of cases, these certain kinds of settings don't have much visual difference, and what little difference they have isn't worth the performance hit.

That's what I was trying to get at.
And also to say that while the high preset in a modern AAA title isn't ultra/max settings, it's not bad looking by any means and typically looks better than current gen consoles, which look really good already.

Yes, absolutely dual channel RAM would be better, I just didn't know what configuration he currently has to achieve 6 GB and was making the point that 8 GB is something he should aim for. 2x4GB sticks would be best for sure.

And I agree with the other stuff too; thank you for clarifying.