[SOLVED] Can a split-second power outage shut off my PC?

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
My pc:
10850K stock 4800mhz stock Kraken X73 good temps
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3000mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I wanna ask about something. So i plugged my pc in march 2021. All is fine. No pc shutdowns,reboots,pc stable. Had one power outage in june.
But 3 days ago, my pc suddenly shuts off during launching Metro Exodus Enhanced just after cinematic part.
I was wondering if that was my psu or very short for split second power outage?

I had laptop connected to other power cord but laptop doesnt go to battery mode in this moment ( i checked event logs ). Also router plugged to wall dont disconnect internet.
And my question is. It was so short power outage for a brief second that only pc went off or it was my psu? Thank you.

All working fine no shutdowns actually. I tested all games no issues now.

Solution
If you where to flick the switch at the socket the pc would power off instantly. The same as a what happens when there's a power interruption. The capacitors may take a second to discharge then they will need a second to recharge and that's where the mobo loses power and everything stops. Some psu's are designed to manage with power interruptions for a couple of seconds but you will normally only find these types of psu in servers or workstations.
a couple of millisecs is all it takes, that's why they sell UPS'es. even a surge from laser printers, HVAC or furnaces can cause a glitch. folks working on utility lines can switch power circuits which may generate a flicker or be unnoticeable but totally freeze your PC.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
If you where to flick the switch at the socket the pc would power off instantly. The same as a what happens when there's a power interruption. The capacitors may take a second to discharge then they will need a second to recharge and that's where the mobo loses power and everything stops. Some psu's are designed to manage with power interruptions for a couple of seconds but you will normally only find these types of psu in servers or workstations.

Solution