can a sudden PC restart damage HDD ?

yafatana

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
I was playing a game and my PC suddenly shut down and restart automatically
it happened several times

my question can that damage my hard drives or cause bad sectors ?
or modern hard drives are protected from this ?

Solution
Modern HDDs are much less susceptible to damage from unexpected resets. But is it still possible...? Yes.
If you want to verify the health of the drive, run the manufacturer tools. If everything comes back fine then it's most likely okay.

However, the unexpected reboot while gaming could very well indicate a power supply issue. Best to check that out (make and model of PS, max draw of PS vs. what your system may be peaking at, etc.)
Modern HDDs are much less susceptible to damage from unexpected resets. But is it still possible...? Yes.
If you want to verify the health of the drive, run the manufacturer tools. If everything comes back fine then it's most likely okay.

However, the unexpected reboot while gaming could very well indicate a power supply issue. Best to check that out (make and model of PS, max draw of PS vs. what your system may be peaking at, etc.)

Solution

yafatana

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

I have Seasonic G650
i7 6700k
gigabyte z170x gaming 5
sapphire r9 390 ntro
windows 10 1709

I was gaming on my 1050p monitor without any roblem
but I plugged my new 1440p monitor
now dual monitor
and then I got that first sudden restart since 2 years

my PC and both my monitors and router are connected to my 1000va 700 watt UPS
but there is no warning of overload

It could've just been a fluke then. Are you overclocking your video card, CPU, memory, at all? Try it again and see how it goes.

I have had some odd UPS issues in the past. If it happens again, try moving the computer to the 'surge protection only' side of the UPS, just for testing.

yafatana

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

thanks for answering
but what do you mean by fluke ??