Question can a thunderbolt 3 to dvi cable be able to display 144hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2020
so i have the Acer GN246HL and a Dell G5 15 5587 and the hdmi port on the monitor only goes up to 60hz and im just wondering if i could buy a thunderbolt 3 to dvi to make my monitor be able to display 144hz?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately not mate sorry. If there were TB3 to DVI DL adapters then yes but they're all SL.

More info here;

If laptop had mini Displayport, then there's a good chance an active DP to DVI DL adapter would work but don't think the laptop has one.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Thats what I'm trying to ask and you are missing. It's a type C adapter. USB. Is it going to be able to handle the full tb3 bandwidth, as a tb3-dvi adapter would or will it only be able to handle the USB allowable bandwidth which is like ¼ of what tb3 can carry. It's a USB-dvi dual adapter, regardless of the connector type, will it handle tb3, or will it be bottlenecked to USB standards.

Thats what I'm trying to ask and you are missing. It's a type C adapter. USB. Is it going to be able to handle the full tb3 bandwidth, as a tb3-dvi adapter would or will it only be able to handle the USB allowable bandwidth which is like ¼ of what tb3 can carry. It's a USB-dvi dual adapter, regardless of the connector type, will it handle tb3, or will it be bottlenecked to USB standards.
It′s a DVI adapter, so it's only going to support the capabilities within the limits of DVI. This particular adapter supports dual-link DVI with at least enough bandwidth for 1080p 144 Hz (≈8 Gbit/s).

USB-C DP Alt Mode is a passthrough from the video card, it's not limited by USB bandwidth, so whether the port supports 5 Gbit/s or 10 Gbit/s in USB transport is irrelevant, and similarly, asking which USB speed the adapter uses/supports is meaningless, since the video isn't transmitted via USB protocol. The adapter would need at minimum 4 lanes of HBR DisplayPort, which any system can provide.

TB3 devices can additionally use 8 lanes of DP, which normal USB-C DP Alt Mode cannot do. But DL-DVI doesn't need nearly that much bandwidth, so it's an irrelevant question really. It's like asking whether a 100 Mbit/s WiFi adapter supports USB 3.0 or is limited to USB 2.0 speeds.

The output is the limiting factor, it's not bottlenecked by the USB/TB3 input in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.