Question Can a Tomahawk b450 rvert it's bios?

Jan 18, 2023
I recently had to switch out some bad ram and now if I try to boot my pc with a 5600x it gets stuck on the cpu error light and won't post. Luckily I still had 2600 to slot in as I only got the 5600x at christmas.

All the pins on the 5600x seem fine and I can't think of anything else that would cause this. Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 18, 2023
I didn't downgrade the bios, maybe I explained it poorly because I'm still kinda stressed from having to deal with it.

Updated bios to upgrade to a 5600x from a 2600 > realise I have at least 1 ram stick that's gone bad so I order new ram > install new ram > 5600x no longer posts but 2600 still does.

So my question is, is there any way the bios could have rolled itself back whilst I was changing the ram somehow?

Jan 6, 2023
This is just a theory, but could the new RAM being set at the default speed out-of-box cause the CPU booting issue? I have the same motherboard and the XMP profiles sometimes like to revert back to default speeds after a BIOS update.

Jan 18, 2023
I didn't even consider a clear cmos, I'm an idiot, if that turns out to be the case Imma hate myself lol, because now I need to order more thermal compound

I didn't even consider a clear cmos, I'm an idiot, if that turns out to be the case Imma hate myself lol, because now I need to order more thermal compound
for test you dont really need thermal compound, its just to see if it POST

hair wax, tooth paste, or even sheet of paper will also do just fine...its not long term solution lol, but it transfers heat way better than air

Jan 19, 2023
It sounds like the issue may be related to compatibility between the 5600X CPU and your motherboard.

First, ensure that your motherboard's BIOS is up to date and that it supports the 5600X.

If the problem persists, check to make sure that the CPU cooler is properly installed and that the thermal paste is applied correctly.

It's also possible that the 5600X is defective, in that case, you should contact the manufacturer for a replacement.

Another thing you can try is to clear the CMOS by removing the battery or using the jumper on the motherboard, this will reset the bios settings to default and help you to rule out a bios corruption problem.