Question Can a USB adaptor be used to upgrade firmware for an M.2 SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Otherwise you can temporarily install your M.2 on one if the M.2 slots on the motherboard (if possible) just for the firmware upgrade.
I am aware of this. Of course I can update it, if I insert it into an M.2 slot on the motherboard. My question was if it can be done with an USB adaptor, as I wrote in the title and the body of the question.

Can a USB adaptor be used to upgrade firmware for an M.2 SSD?

For example can this product be used to upgrade the firmware of a Samsung 990 Pro:
It will depend on how the upgrade program is written. The usb device will show up as a Sabrent device and will not show up as a Samsung device in the Magician software. So do not expect the upgrade to work. But are you sure you need an upgrade? I bought a 990 after the firmware upgrade was announced and it arrived with the firmware already upgraded.

Reactions: klavs

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
It will depend on how the upgrade program is written. The usb device will show up as a Sabrent device and will not show up as a Samsung device in the Magician software. So do not expect the upgrade to work.
I'd expect it to show up as an USB device as well. So the solution is "No", unless you create or find a hack.

Reactions: dwd999
Status
Not open for further replies.