[SOLVED] Can a used hard disk drive carry viruses?

gordonmousedeer

Commendable
Jan 14, 2019
I bought a used hard disk drive. The seller assured me that it has no bad sectors. I need to know something..

Even after a hard disk drive gets reformatted or gets all of its information wiped clean, can it still carry viruses from an older system?

Solution
Formatting a drive will simply wipe the partition table, meaning the data is still there. However, that data is effectively useless because without the partition table, the data just looks like garbage. So even if there was a virus, formatting will render it harmless unless you try to restore the old partition somehow. The only other way a virus can persist is via a boot sector virus, but I think those are largely a non-issue these days.

If you want to wipe the disk clean, I also suggest making a bootable Linux thing (either DVD or thumb drive) and run the tools in there.

USAFRet

Titan
For any used system or storage device, you need to do a full wipe of everything.
As said, DBAN for a HDD, Secure Erase fo an SSD.

A simple "format" within File Explorer is nowhere near enough.
That just gets the partitions that are visible to File Explorer.

And preferably using a USB dock, so this drive does not spin up at the same time as the system starts.

Formatting a drive will simply wipe the partition table, meaning the data is still there. However, that data is effectively useless because without the partition table, the data just looks like garbage. So even if there was a virus, formatting will render it harmless unless you try to restore the old partition somehow. The only other way a virus can persist is via a boot sector virus, but I think those are largely a non-issue these days.

If you want to wipe the disk clean, I also suggest making a bootable Linux thing (either DVD or thumb drive) and run the tools in there.

Solution