Question Can Access 5G on Wireless Extender but Not From Router

Sep 25, 2019
So my family has a somewhat old WiFi router, I'm pretty sure it's capable of supporting 5Ghz internet but my family doesn't pay for access to it (as far as I've been told). A while back we had to move the router to the third floor of our house so my family bought an extender so that the signal strength on the first floor wouldn't be awful. Well, oddly enough I had the option to connect to the 5Ghz band of the extender (despite our actual router not providing anything other than the standard 2.4Ghz connection). And I'm fairly certain that this is actually connecting to the 5Ghz band in our router because it is literally 5-10x faster than the normal 2.4Ghz network.

I've been using it pretty uneventfully and it's been a godsend, because previously I just straight up couldn't stream stuff or play multiplayer games when I was home because of how god-awful our internet speeds are. I do have this occasional issue where my computer will suddenly refuse to connect to any network, then only connect to the 2.4Ghz network, then finally (without doing anything other than running the Troubleshooter over and over again) it will randomly start connecting to the 5Ghz network again. Dealing with this is well worth the hassle, however, when compared with dealing with the abysmally slow internet I would have on the 2.4Ghz band.

Well this week, I've been having this issue where Minecraft constantly boots me off servers that I've been playing on without issue on the 5Ghz network for over three months now. I tried switching back to the 2.4Ghz network and have returned to having no issues other than considerable lag (because again, our WiFi speeds are awful).

When I go into the router and test its connection to my computer, regardless of what network I'm on, the router claims that it never receives any packets back from ping tests, and always states that there is 100% packet loss. But when I do a ping test from the Command Prompt on my computer, it states that there is no packet loss. And when I'm connected to the 5Ghz extender, the router claims that my computer isn't connected to the internet at all But that can't be right, because I'm connecting to the router from the very computer it says isn't on the network and I'm capable of accessing the internet.

I'm genuinely stumped. I'm not even entirely sure how this is possible. Any help that could be provided would be appreciated.

ASK THE COMMUNITY