Can access hard drive in Ubuntu but can't install operating system?

kimstips

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
Hi.

When I try to install Windows 7 it gets stuck at "Preparing setup". So I tried to install Ubuntu, witch didn't work until I tried to go into "Try Ubuntu" and in there I can see all my old files. So I tried to copy them but it only transfers with 50-80 kb/s. And that takes a long time before 119 GB have been transferred.

I also hear a wierd clicking sound from the laptop.
Also sorry is this is the wrong category.

smithbyrne

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
your "weird clicking sound" could be a sign of hard drive failure coming soon.

are you booting from your windows 7 disk?

if you can boot into your computers BIOS and change the SATA operation of the hard drive from AHCI to SATA (or vice versa) and try install windows 7 again.

Chris LeBaron

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
Sounds like your hard drive is going bad, and if you're hearing clicking it's going to die real quick. Continue backing your files up starting with the most important. If it totally dies you may be able to get a bit more time out of it by putting it in the freezer(inside a ziplock bag to keep the moisture out).

And if you want to do further testing before believing me download Seatools for DOS, burn it to a disk and run a test.
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

kimstips

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I was hoping that wasn't the case... In the boot menu I can change between ACHI and IDE (Sorry I don't know what it means and what the difference is) - And yes I try to boot from the disc