News Can AI Moderators Save Streamers From Toxic Trolls?

andrewkelb

Reputable
Mar 10, 2018
I think tools already exist that allow content creators to moderate their own streams and content. My worry is that the most offended among us will set broad policies that affect everyone and have a negative impact far beyond the offending parties.

Sep 15, 2020
This definitely isn't just a problem for streamers. I haven't been able to play a multiplayer session in anything for years because I have disabled hands that slow me down so I am inundated with messages to get off with such colorful language and threats.
I am sorry to hear this bro! I quit online gaming because of the toxic environment and some gamers are vile and have disgusting behavior. I only play single players now. Sometimes I play ARK on PvE servers. Some gamers are nice and helping you out when you begin. But others..... well, you already know... :(

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nope. That won't be enough.

The power of anonymity...
Some users get massive e-boners from ruining others' experiences - they pretty much live for that crap. Comes with the territory.
If folks can't deal with that, they really shouldn't stream.

"AI" is only as good as he who creates the parameters and algorithms.
It is not yet magic.
So true.
I see the Skynet entity from the Terminator series becoming a distant possibility if mankind isn't careful.
A sentient AI is no different from a human - err, minus the body at least.

Jim90

Distinguished
And thus Freedom of Speech died. Sad state of affairs.
Added to the list of services that engage in terrorism, which will never get my money.

Freedom of Speech doesn't give you open license to make other folks lives a misery...does it??...you DO know that??
- and therein lies the issue with 'certain groups' of the population pre-disposed to, literally, over-generalising law / constitutional wording simply because they lack the required mental toolset. There's also a critical issue with interpretation of that same wording, particularly that written in very different times and which should have equally clearly, time-expired.
Locally and globally, society has a hell of a lot of growing up to do.

Freedom of Speech doesn't give you open license to make other folks lives a misery...does it??...you DO know that??
- and therein lies the issue with 'certain groups' of the population pre-disposed to, literally, over-generalising law / constitutional wording simply because they lack the required mental toolset. There's also a critical issue with interpretation of that same wording, particularly that written in very different times and which should have equally clearly, time-expired.
Locally and globally, society has a hell of a lot of growing up to do.
The issue with punishing hate speech is that everyone's definition of hate speech depends on each person's opinions and their own biases.

If you punish hate speech you end up oppressing certain views that are against the moderators biases, which tears down the first amendment.

USAFRet

Titan
The issue with punishing hate speech is that everyone's definition of hate speech depends on each person's opinions and their own biases.

If you punish hate speech you end up oppressing certain views that are against the moderators biases, which tears down the first amendment.
Conversely, if you allow any and all "hate speech" (whatever your definition of that is), you might as well just abandon the forum.
The trolls will simply take over, pushing out any normal discourse. They are more prolific than normal people.

Any post or thread will quickly descend into "anti that guy" or "pro idiocy". Any rational comments are lost in the sauce.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020

You aren't entitled to free speech on a privately owned platform.

Reactions: Sveraken

Batweasel

Reputable
Oct 15, 2020
Some users get massive e-boners from ruining others' experiences - they pretty much live for that crap. Comes with the territory.
If folks can't deal with that, they really shouldn't stream.

I think that's a worrying viewpoint. Essentially you're advocating giving power to the bullies and trolls, and normalising that behaviour - even though you acknowledge that it's harmful.

We don't say that shops should close if they don't like shoplifting, or that people shouldn't have houses if they don't like being burgled, and with good reason.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think that's a worrying viewpoint. Essentially you're advocating giving power to the bullies and trolls, and normalising that behaviour - even though you acknowledge that it's harmful.

We don't say that shops should close if they don't like shoplifting, or that people shouldn't have houses if they don't like being burgled, and with good reason.
I'm not advocating this crap - it's been going on from Day 1, mate. It hasn't stopped, and likely never will, even with the protective measures put in place.
Same deal with racism, programmer crunch time, and religious violence - or just violence in general; they all still continue, with no end in sight.
All that's really changed is the media and the subject's exposure to it.

As much as I would like the foolishness to stop, none of it's going to completely disappear, because conflict is part of human nature.
You want it all to stop completely, just as I and many others do? Then wish for Skynet or sentient AI to become a reality.
The source of all the problems really are Humans.

Hmm, maybe that was a bit extreme... crap, I got a bit carried away. :oops:

Reactions: Makaveli

crostini

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
If you want to talk politics and gaming, you also should discuss the corruption of gameplay with forced political narratives. Countless games and game companies have been ruined by politics, and anyone who critiques this practice is deemed toxic and muted. In addition, it's ok for a political article to be written, but not for discussion. This meaning, I imagine this comment will be deleted or the forum closed.

Gamers are sick of these policies. We just wanted to game.

david germain

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2013
AI Monitored Speech what could go wrong... cannot wait till they mandate drugs to regulate thoughts and feelings. And then use AI to determine what Books are ok and what Art is ok...
Nothing could go wrong, and there will be no unintended consequences...
#1984 #equlibrium #[insert any distopeon future]

Reactions: crostini
What ever happened to sticks and stones?
In the words of tyler the creator,
<Offensive material removed by moderator>

It's so frustrating coming from the age of ps3 and xbox 360 chat lobbies; People are so soft and easily offended now.
I don't go out of my way to troll people (but I see them and guess what, mute/kick is an easy day) but when someone starts inting in my league match and my adrenaline is going and I want to WIN a COMPETITIVE RANKED GAME?
And there's people on my team that just make DUMB choices?
Like, imagine getting upset at some text some rando sends you on the internet.
Just get over it. Ignore it. Turn off the PC. So many avenues to a solution that doesn't involve a blanket system that actively interrupts what I want to say.
EDIT:
Apologies for the link to the tweet, I didn't know it would show the tweet. I thought linking it would just let people find it.
But I guess that's probably not a good thing to do either BUT! Same sentiment regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: crostini