[SOLVED] Can AIOs help in cooling the VRMs?

Solution
Can you give me a link for such fan compatible with my Mobo?
Any 12V fan will be 'compatible' but if you want to use a PWM header on the motherboard to control it's speed get one that is PWM. Fans this small can turn upwards of 5000 RPM so speed control is often desireable.

Here's a link for some 60mm fans:

Some people manage to find a way to suspend the fan with ZIP ties; that's a bit to ghetto for me. I fabricated a bracket from an PCI slot blanking plate to screw the fan to then screw the bracket to an unused mounting lug on the rear case fan. Then orient the fan to blow down on the VRM heatsink.

You don't need huge airflow, usually just enough to move the hot air that can build up in the dead air pocket under the...
Feb 22, 2020
I am using a worse VRM Mobo B450 Aorus Elite with an r7 3700x on it.

It's all running at stock no PBO or Auto OC but still during CPU Stress Tests VRM Temps touch 100°C and keep on hovering around there. I know It's not good for the mobo but I desperately want to improve my VRM Temps, Is there any way to do that, The case which I am using has good airflow but still It doesn't help much.

My Case is Antec NX800 It has two 200mm Intake fans on the front and a 120mm fan at the rear as exhaust, also on the top I've mounted a 240mm Radiator with the fans being in exhaust configuration. I don't know If that's a good airflow scenario or not.

AIO/Water coolers are notorious for increasing VRM temps since they move the airflow away from the VRM that a conventional cooler could still provide.
As a test, flip your rear fan to intake and see if it helps at all. Im not suggesting this as a fix, but just to see how much airflow youd need.

A simple, cost effective fix would be a small 60-80mm fan strapped to the motherboard VRMs.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Feb 22, 2020
AIO/Water coolers are notorious for increasing VRM temps since they move the airflow away from the VRM that a conventional cooler could still provide.
As a test, flip your rear fan to intake and see if it helps at all. Im not suggesting this as a fix, but just to see how much airflow youd need.

A simple, cost effective fix would be a small 60-80mm fan strapped to the motherboard VRMs.

Any 12V fan will be 'compatible' but if you want to use a PWM header on the motherboard to control it's speed get one that is PWM. Fans this small can turn upwards of 5000 RPM so speed control is often desireable.

Here's a link for some 60mm fans:

Some people manage to find a way to suspend the fan with ZIP ties; that's a bit to ghetto for me. I fabricated a bracket from an PCI slot blanking plate to screw the fan to then screw the bracket to an unused mounting lug on the rear case fan. Then orient the fan to blow down on the VRM heatsink.

You don't need huge airflow, usually just enough to move the hot air that can build up in the dead air pocket under the case fan when there's a waterblock and no CPU fan to move it for you. It worked a charm for me.

Last edited:
Solution
Thats My son's when a Fx-8350 was on a Gigabyte 970 SLi mobo. That mobo / combo was not in very long as I upgraded to a 2600x and moved My gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 with a 8350 oc'd to 4.7 into it and put a fx-6300 on the 970 for my wifes rig.
As far as kicking up the fans the mobo was limited on fan speed control but the fans on the cooler was the noctua 120mm Ippc's, running at 3000rpm it was LOUD and I will run fans higher putting up with more noise as long as it is keeping it cool for what is being done at the time.
Now my son's is running the 2600x and a Msi Pro Carbon with i again upgraded mine to the 3600x.
I still use that Bracket and fan on mine not that the mobo vrm's are week in any way it's a asus rog strix x470 f gaming.
It's what I saw on a Buildzoid video of the am4 x470's saying it good on vrm but lacked air from the Io cover it has so Ok I can cure that.
Take Care Stay In Good Health Guys.