aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
Hello. I'm sure you've seen a dozen of these questions asked but I searched and found no real answer for this, at least they weren't convincing.
I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to use the RTX feature in games with my graphics card. I see everyone saying all cards can do rt but it needs a special processor for that and so on, but is there a way I could bypass games and make them let me toggle the RTX button and use ray tracing like it works on an nvidea RTX card?
I've seen some people in discussions sometimes picking an amd card in their build, for example some people picked my 5600xt over the 2060,which is weird cause it has the same processing power but also RTX, but still they picked the amd one.
Can someone help me figure this out? I'm trying to make this rtx thingy work with reshade rtgi, which I know is only screen space so it ray traces only the visible parts, which is terrible compared to the real rtx in nvidea cards.

If you were wondering about say, how does NVIDIA get away with enabling ray tracing on games on GTX cards and why AMD doesn't have the same thing: DirectX Ray Tracing has something called a "fallback layer", which turns the hardware ray tracing commands into a software equivalent. However, this requires driver support, which AMD did not implement. In addition, this also requires a graphics card with 6GB of VRAM or higher (indicated by the GTX 1060 6B and 1660 cards being the lowest end that's supported). Also as far as I'm aware of, there are no modded or hacked AMD drivers that added DXR fallback layer support, but you're free to peruse the internet to see if anyone did it (and if they did, it'll likely be the Linux FOSS drivers).

Reactions: aden.anderson2001

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
If you were wondering about say, how does NVIDIA get away with enabling ray tracing on games on GTX cards and why AMD doesn't have the same thing: DirectX Ray Tracing has something called a "fallback layer", which turns the hardware ray tracing commands into a software equivalent. However, this requires driver support, which AMD did not implement. In addition, this also requires a graphics card with 6GB of VRAM or higher (indicated by the GTX 1060 6B and 1660 cards being the lowest end that's supported). Also as far as I'm aware of, there are no modded or hacked AMD drivers that added DXR fallback layer support, but you're free to peruse the internet to see if anyone did it (and if they did, it'll likely be the Linux FOSS drivers).
Thanks for the explanation, lol the Linux stuff is too complicated for me so I'm gonna just keep it at this :)

TRENDING THREADS