[SOLVED] Can AMD Precision Boost run on Ryzen 5 2600 /w stock cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD Precision Overboost of Ryzen 5 2600: Is it okay (or recommended) to enable with stock fan air cooler? I plan to try it for the first time running "AMD Ryzen Master". Main games played: Overwatch, Fortnite, Rainbow Six Siege, Apex, League. I would like to hit 144 FPS more consistently, but also lower and more consistent frame times; purpose of GSync Keep in mind that the Freesync monitor model, AOC G2590FX, is 1st tier GSync compatible, therefore FPS won't exceed native 144 FPS framerate.

specs pc#1
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 / Asrock B450 Pro4 / Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz / Intel 660p 512GB / Zotac GAMING GeForce GTX 1660 Ti AMP / EVGA P2 850 / AOC G2590FX (1080p, 144Hz, TN, FreeSync, G-sync 1st tier compatible).

specs pc#2
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 / Asrock B350 Pro4 / Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz / Samsung 960 EVO 500GB / Zotac GAMING GeForce GTX 1660 Ti AMP / EVGA P2 850 / AOC G2590FX (1080p, 144Hz, TN, FreeSync, G-sync 1st tier compatible).

Solution
I personally don't recommend it, because it's no different really than running an overclocked configuration and the stock Ryzen coolers are not especially well suited for that. They are good, indeed, much better than any previous stock cooler, but I think they toe the line to closely in terms of overclocking especially since Ryzen has very little overclocking headroom to begin with due to thermal limitations.

Best advice is probably to try it, while keeping a close eye on thermals using Ryzen master, and see how it does. If you are consistently toeing the line at maximum thermal ceiling of 80°C, then a better cooler or running at the stock non-PB configuration is likely wise.
I personally don't recommend it, because it's no different really than running an overclocked configuration and the stock Ryzen coolers are not especially well suited for that. They are good, indeed, much better than any previous stock cooler, but I think they toe the line to closely in terms of overclocking especially since Ryzen has very little overclocking headroom to begin with due to thermal limitations.

Best advice is probably to try it, while keeping a close eye on thermals using Ryzen master, and see how it does. If you are consistently toeing the line at maximum thermal ceiling of 80°C, then a better cooler or running at the stock non-PB configuration is likely wise.

Solution

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
As long as you have good airflow in your case and your ambient temperature isn't too high I believe the stock cooler would be fine with stock settings. I have run my Ryzen 5 2600 at stock settings with my Arctic 33 eSports Edition cooler with an Ambient temperature of about 21 - 22 C and it idled at about 27C and maxed out at around 49-50C.
For reference I have a mesh front mid tower case with 3 120 mm intake fans and 2 exhaust fans which provide very good airflow.
I keep the intake fans running a few hundred rpms faster than my exhaust fans providing slightly positive pressure.
With it OC'd at 4 GHz (all cores) it idles at 29-30C and maxes out around 55-56c after 3 to 4 hours of gaming.
When I had it at stock settings it would boost up to 3.9 GHz on 1 or 2 cores and 3.75 GHz on all cores.

I definitely recommend that you look into getting a good 4 or 6 pipe cooler and OC your 2600 to 3.9 or 4 GHz which will get you up to 2600x performance levels.

Last edited:
I ended up not using precision boost, and instead upgrading both R5 2600's to a Ryzen 5 5600X and Ryzen 7 3700X, which I came into possession of. I much prefer the responsiveness (or single core performance) or the Zen 3 and Zen 2 chips. Regardless, I will probably end up upgrading both coolers to the Noctua NH-U12S Redux. Thank you Darkbreeze and DMAN999

Status
Not open for further replies.