Can AMD Radeon R7870 work with ASRock z87 Extreme4?

Malorn44

Reputable
May 24, 2015
I got this card recently replaced and then experienced the same symptoms again and the card stopped working.

White horizontal lines on log-in screen
and then a black or blue screen with white vertical lines.

This is all i could think of what might be the problem

Malorn44

Reputable
May 24, 2015
Hmm well that is what I thought to but now the same card has stopped working twice within the past month even after getting it replaced. Is there any possibility that the PCI-E is corrupting the card? That is all that I can think of being the problem. My board has 3 slots that can fit GPUs and I tried 2 of them to no avail. The third one I couldn't use because it was sitting to close to my PSU

parthtrivedi

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2012

What psu are you using to run this card. There may be an issue of the card corrupting due to low psu power or a high pcie frequency set from the bios

Malorn44

Reputable
May 24, 2015
Also some extra insight. Both of the R7870s, once in my new build, stopped working after about 1 day. They worked fine in my old Inspiron 660 though. Is it possible the frequency set to high. Does my new build require more Power than I can give? It is using 16gb of ram and a 3.3 GHz Quad-Core i5 processor. It has 3 case fans and 1 cpu fan. The GPU has 2 fans on it and both of them were running. I am supplying power to a 1TB HDD. That is all.
If you want the specific parts just ask.
I would really want to find a solution for this. I have been trying to make this new build fully work for half the summer already and I am beginning to feel that I wasted time and money on this.