Question Can an AIO liquid cooler brick motherboard?

Jun 6, 2022
I have been using my pc for about 9 months after which my AIO liquid cooler stopped working and I has to change it. PC parts for the first 9 months:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS AMD AM4 Zen 3 Ryzen 5000
CPU Cooler: Silverstone PF240-ARGB
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16)
SSD/HDD: SAMSUNG (MZ-V8V1T0B/AM) 980 SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
GPU: MSI GTX 1560 Ventus xs 4G OC
PSU: ASUS ROG Strix 750 Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold 750W
Chassis: Silverstone Fara r1

PC parts after AIO LC was changed:
all same as above except
CPU Cooler: InWin BR24

After about 1 and a half month my pc stopped switching on (nothing was switching on not even the debug led on the motherboard). I checked all the parts and found out that the motherboard was broken. I swapped it with a new one and continued using the pc.
PC parts after Motherboard was changed:
all same as above except
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO

Again after 1 and a half months my pc was not booting up again. This time it was lighting up then the CPU led was lighting up on the motherboard. I again checked all the parts and found out that the motherboard was broken. As the only thing that I swapped was the CPU cooler and after that change it bricked 2 motherboard I am suspecting that it might be the new cooler. Is it possible for a cooler to break a motherboard?

If the AIO mounting bracket(s) were installed incorrectly such that it damages the CPU socket, cracks the solder balls under the socket or traces around it is one way.

If the radiator was installed so that one (or both) of the tubes to the CPU water block was extremely tight and putting a side-load on the socket. Over time and thermal cycles that could also lead to cracking some of the solder balls.

Also examine the CPU pins very closely. If one is slightly bent it may work for a while but with time and thermal cycles it could end up making unreliable contact with the socket contacts.

Last edited: