[SOLVED] Can an electrocuted (fried) GPU by a faulty PSU be fixed?

Ebiye Idumange Elton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Hi everyone, I'd like to know if there's a chance or shot at all in fixing a recently electrocuted (fried) GTX 1080 Turbo. The card doesn't display nor it is recognized in BIOS but the fans spin up and the lights turn on.

Any suggestions or opinions would be helpful. Thank you.

Solution
Hi everyone, I'd like to know if there's a chance or shot at all in fixing a recently electrocuted (fried) GTX 1080 Turbo. The card doesn't display nor it is recognized in BIOS but the fans spin up and the lights turn on.

Pretty much anything can be fixed. The question is...is it worth the effort?

Most likely....if a PSU fried the card...the voltage went high.....and components were burned and/or destroyed. The amount of time in labor required to repair the card converted to money...in many cases far exceeds the cost of the card.

Not only that....in general....the vast majority of people don't have the skills to repair a GPU.
I do not know. Only suggestions that I have are:

Home owner's insurance policy claim

Reach out to power supply manufacturer and seek reparations

Off subject: Would you mind me asking what the manufacturer and model of the power supply are? I'd just like to know for future reference.

Ebiye Idumange Elton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
I do not know. Only suggestions that I have are:

Home owner's insurance policy claim

Reach out to power supply manufacturer and seek reparations

Off subject: Would you mind me asking what the manufacturer and model of the power supply are? I'd just like to know for future reference.

Certainly. The PSU is an old Thermaltake 850 Watts 80+ Bronze power supply. It was sold to me on the basis of being a new one, but clearly the seller lied.

Most likely....if a PSU fried the card...the voltage went high.....and components were burned and/or destroyed. The amount of time in labor required to repair the card converted to money...in many cases far exceeds the cost of the card.

Not only that....in general....the vast majority of people don't have the skills to repair a GPU.

Solution

Ebiye Idumange Elton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

Thank you very much for your opinion Jay. Much appreciated.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Everything has a failure rate. It's never a matter of IF a component will fail, it's a matter of WHEN. The better the quality of the circuitry, the lower the chances of IF and WHEN.

That applies to psus and the stuff plugged into them. Can a psu fry a gpu? Yep, it's possible. And the lower the quality of the psu, the greater the chances of that happening. That's not to say it'll always happen, there's half a dozen or more things that all have to go wrong simultaneously, or the outputs on the psu have to be abysmally bad which just shortens component lifespans, but it is possible. Not probable.

TT brands everything in a psu line. They have absolute junk I'd not give to my ex-wife to seriously decent that I'd have no issues owning. Exact model/size determines that aspect.

There's also some priviso's. First, it's a 1080ti. It's aged. Could be it's just done. No fault on the psu. Could be the monitor, they don't last forever either, I've had brand new ones fail after less than a year. Could be the cable, could be that particular port, could be the motherboard pcie port, or even the cpu. Could be a combination of things.

That's something you'll need to consider before instantly assuming the psu fried the gpu.

Ebiye Idumange Elton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Everything has a failure rate. It's never a matter of IF a component will fail, it's a matter of WHEN. The better the quality of the circuitry, the lower the chances of IF and WHEN.

That applies to psus and the stuff plugged into them. Can a psu fry a gpu? Yep, it's possible. And the lower the quality of the psu, the greater the chances of that happening. That's not to say it'll always happen, there's half a dozen or more things that all have to go wrong simultaneously, or the outputs on the psu have to be abysmally bad which just shortens component lifespans, but it is possible. Not probable.

TT brands everything in a psu line. They have absolute junk I'd not give to my ex-wife to seriously decent that I'd have no issues owning. Exact model/size determines that aspect.

There's also some priviso's. First, it's a 1080ti. It's aged. Could be it's just done. No fault on the psu. Could be the monitor, they don't last forever either, I've had brand new ones fail after less than a year. Could be the cable, could be that particular port, could be the motherboard pcie port, or even the cpu. Could be a combination of things.

That's something you'll need to consider before instantly assuming the psu fried the gpu.

You're right. Thank you for replying. The model is an old one and its discontinued. I tried searching for the product line but Thermaltake doesn't include it in their webpage.
It's actually a 1080 Turbo. And the monitor is working, it's what I'm using right now to read your posts. I created a thread to diagnose what killed the card and the consensus was on the PSU. The Previous Thread.