Question Can an .exe file installer be a virus?

Aug 14, 2019
I recently bought a Wifi adapter and when I plugged it in it displays a removable drive and a .exe file to install. The installation does not give you an option to save it anywhere you want just install and next and finish. I'm just wondering can this program be a virus?

This is what it looks like in program files
View: https://imgur.com/a/sy1oiOh

Ps: Norton says a thousand users have tested this file and says it safe but I just want to make sure.

It was from Aliexpress so I guess its semi reputable. But then again its probably from China... Idk, hopefully its not a virus.

cringe

If Norton says it's safe it likely is. But I always view such 3rd part installation scripts from China with some "caution"

In other words it's a home brew installation script which can contain anything using InstallSheildExpress which is free.

See if you can figure out what the chipset is (Likely Realtek) and grab the drivers straight from the chipset manufacturer yourself. There will be clues in the device hardware device id's property sheet. (If windows doesn't automatically find a driver for it once the wifi is plugged in)

Reactions: Countess_C