Can an external DAC affect gaming performance?

bajkapeter

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Hi,

I've been looking for an external DAC+AMP for a while now, and I've found that the FiiO E10K DAC+AMP would be perfect for improving the audio quality of my PC

The only thing I'm not sure about is that how it will affect my PC's performance: would it cause any lag, performance drops, or add any kind of plus latency to my other peripherals (I'm using a SteelSeries 6GV2 by PS/2, and a Deathadder Chroma by USB 2.0)?

I'm kinda picky about that, and if an external sound card causes any of these issues, I'd rather just stick with my onboard audio :lol:

Cheers,
Peter

Solution
No. It's not going to affect your games, and any possible lag introduced is going to be on the output, not the input. Since Microsoft moved the audio rendering to the OS with Vista, the output hardware isn't really doing much these days except transferring the sound signal in the case of digital out, or conversion and perhaps minor amplification in the case of analog out.
Unless your particular software you're using is somehow synchronizing to your sound card, the only lag I can see as possible would be a delay in the sound output. Generally speaking however, that isn't usually an issue.

What usually happens when the machine fails to keep the sound device happy, you get audio dropouts or other anomalous sound that is less than desirable.

bajkapeter

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
As long as it doesn't affect gaming performance, I'm happy with that :)

Currently, I have a 24 year old Technics SA-GX100 stereo amplifier on my desk, and I'm using it for amplifying and tone control, but it has a terrible hissing static in the backround (all cables are good quality ones)

Plugging the headphones directly into the motherboard cuts the static off, but it doesn't have enough juice to drive them

No. It's not going to affect your games, and any possible lag introduced is going to be on the output, not the input. Since Microsoft moved the audio rendering to the OS with Vista, the output hardware isn't really doing much these days except transferring the sound signal in the case of digital out, or conversion and perhaps minor amplification in the case of analog out.

Solution