[SOLVED] can an i5-8600k( not OC) get bottlenecked by a gtx1650(slightly OC).

Jul 20, 2021
at the moment, i have an i3-8100 ith 8gb of ram and gtx1650. i m planning to upgrade the cpu to an i5-8600k (stock). can the gpu bottleneck the cpu in a big way? or should i get something slower like an i5-9400f so its a balanced system all round? I mainly use it to play games like r6, gta V and warzone.

Solution
at the moment, i have an i3-8100 ith 8gb of ram and gtx1650. i m planning to upgrade the cpu to an i5-8600k (stock). can the gpu bottleneck the cpu in a big way? or should i get something slower like an i5-9400f so its a balanced system all round? I mainly use it to play games like r6, gta V and warzone.

Bottlenecks are a very misunderstood topic in computer hardware.

The bottleneck you are refering to does not exist: you can not have a CPU that is too powerful for the GPU you are running.

The CPU has to pre-render frames before they are sent to the GPU to be rendered and displayed on your screen; if your CPU pre-renders frames slower than your GPU can render them, then you have a CPU bottleneck. CPU bottlenecks are bad not...

The bottleneck you are refering to does not exist: you can not have a CPU that is too powerful for the GPU you are running.

The CPU has to pre-render frames before they are sent to the GPU to be rendered and displayed on your screen; if your CPU pre-renders frames slower than your GPU can render them, then you have a CPU bottleneck. CPU bottlenecks are bad not just because you don't get the most out of your GPU, but because they cause stutter and frame drops.

However, there is no disadvantage to having a CPU that is more powerful than the GPU, its prefered even, because when you have a CPU that isn't running at 100% and a GPU that is running at 100%, you get stable, stutter-free gameplay and get as much performance out of your GPU as you can.

If you want to upgrade your CPU without changing your motherboard, an i5- 8600k should be a good improvement. An i5-9400f would be cheaper and uses less power, but it doesn't have as high of clock speeds as the i5-8600k which could cause you to need to upgrade sooner down the road than you would have to with the i5-8600k.

If you're looking for a "balanced system all round," I'd recommend that you upgrade to 16 GB of RAM as well; 8 GB will limit you in games like Warzone.

Reactions: ok021
Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
To expand just a little bit on what RTX just said. Because of the pre render CPUs define the best possible FPS on any given system. Set your game at the lowest fidelity settings and check FPS. That number is typically the best FPS your CPU has to offer. GPU horsepower allows that number to continue up to the best fidelity settings but wont increase it. So in essence the CPU / RAM combination ultimately is always the bottleneck when FPS is involved.

Reactions: ok021
Jul 20, 2021
Depends on resolution/refresh rate. Should not be a bottleneck upto 1080p/75hz.

The CPU has to pre-render frames before they are sent to the GPU to be rendered and displayed on your screen; if your CPU pre-renders frames slower than your GPU can render them, then you have a CPU bottleneck. CPU bottlenecks are bad not just because you don't get the most out of your GPU, but because they cause stutter and frame drops.

However, there is no disadvantage to having a CPU that is more powerful than the GPU, its prefered even, because when you have a CPU that isn't running at 100% and a GPU that is running at 100%, you get stable, stutter-free gameplay and get as much performance out of your GPU as you can.

If you want to upgrade your CPU without changing your motherboard, an i5- 8600k should be a good improvement. An i5-9400f would be cheaper and uses less power, but it doesn't have as high of clock speeds as the i5-8600k which could cause you to need to upgrade sooner down the road than you would have to with the i5-8600k.

If you're looking for a "balanced system all round," I'd recommend that you upgrade to 16 GB of RAM as well; 8 GB will limit you in games like Warzone.

Thank

thank you for your explanation, now i understand the situation much better. where i live an 8600k is slightly cheaper than the 9400f so i m gonna go with it. i am also planning on adding 8gb of ram to the system anyway and i am about to upgrade my psu too, but don t know what brand to choose or how much wattage is needed. in my country there isn't a wide array of options to choose from mostly are 80+bronze/white psu from cooler master/redragon/corsair any help would be much apperciated. and thanks for your time

a GTX1650 will be maxed out /saturated (or very nearly so) with far slower CPUs than the i5-8600K...

(THat does not mean you want a weaker CPU, however; in fact, I'd prefer a stronger CPU and a stronger GPU, which is not very strong at 1080P max, once GPU prices permit...)

Thank

thank you for your explanation, now i understand the situation much better. where i live an 8600k is slightly cheaper than the 9400f so i m gonna go with it. i am also planning on adding 8gb of ram to the system anyway and i am about to upgrade my psu too, but don t know what brand to choose or how much wattage is needed. in my country there isn't a wide array of options to choose from mostly are 80+bronze/white psu from cooler master/redragon/corsair any help would be much apperciated. and thanks for your time

Sure thing.

Corsair would be one of the best brands to chose from, although the CV and CX versions aren't very good. Ideally you'd get something like a Corsair RM550x, but if that model isn't available or is too expensive, you could buy something like a Corsair TX550m instead. What from Corsair do you have available in your area?

Jul 20, 2021
Sure thing.

Corsair would be one of the best brands to chose from, although the CV and CX versions aren't very good. Ideally you'd get something like a Corsair RM550x, but if that model isn't available or is too expensive, you could buy something like a Corsair TX550m instead. What from Corsair do you have available in your area?
there is the corsair VS450 80plus and a cooler master 600w 80 plus bronze