[SOLVED] Can an SSD overheat if the GPU touches it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

I recently installed an RTX 2070 Mini in my ATX computer case, and I barely got it to fit. Everything is fine and it's installed in place, no sagging, nothing, however, it's touching the under side of my SSD a little. I was wondering if it could cause the SSD to overheat or burn the SSD connectors or something. I monitored the temps with HWMonitor while my GPU was completely under load and at 81 degrees Celsius, the SSD never got past 32 degrees Celsius.

If it does heat up, is it bad if I leave it floating somewhere away from the GPU?

Solution
If it never got past 32C I don't think you have a problem.

.....but yes....you can have the SSD away from the GPU.....I don't know if I would leave it "floating" (like hanging from the cables..... because they could come loose (although I tend to doubt they would....even hanging from the cables).
D

Deleted member 2720853

If it never got past 32C I don't think you have a problem.

.....but yes....you can have the SSD away from the GPU.....I don't know if I would leave it "floating" (like hanging from the cables..... because they could come loose (although I tend to doubt they would....even hanging from the cables).

I could tuck it in the drive bay somewhere, not leave it floating completely. I played Far Cry 3 on Ultra for 20 minutes or so which made my GPU very hot, and the SSD never got past 32 degrees. HWMonitor reports that the max temp it ever got was 32 degrees.

I could tuck it in the drive bay somewhere, not leave it floating completely. I played Far Cry 3 on Ultra for 20 minutes or so which made my GPU very hot, and the SSD never got past 32 degrees. HWMonitor reports that the max temp it ever got was 32 degrees.
I have put drives in some real wacky places over the years. The main things are to keep it cool and keep it isolated (especially in the case of metal HD cases with circuit boards exposed.....SSDs not so much)....also with HDDs....I read you don't want them on an angle......just vertical or horizontal. I don't think the angle would matter for an SSD.

Ralston18

Titan
In agreement with @jay32267: tuck the SSD somewhere cool and physically secure.

No reason to take chances and/or leave some potential issue about.

I.e., the case gets bumped or knocked about and the SSD makes contact where it (or anything) should not.....

Without knowing the specific physical layout of your PC case I will suggest purchasing some HDD to SSD adapters/spacers that will allow mounting the SSD in a HDD bay.

The adapters do not cost much and you may have even gotten one/some with the SSD. Depends.

Google "hdd to ssd adapter": Many choices to be found.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I have put drives in some real wacky places over the years. The main things are to keep it cool and keep it isolated (especially in the case of metal HD cases with circuit boards exposed.....SSDs not so much)....also with HDDs....I read you don't want them on an angle......just vertical or horizontal. I don't think the angle would matter for an SSD.

I decided I don't want to risk anything and moved the SSD a little bit to the right of my GPU:

20191212_194020.jpg

Only the PSU cable was touching the GPU upon further investigation, now nothing is touching it. Only floating above the GPU.

I decided I don't want to risk anything and moved the SSD a little bit to the right of my GPU:

20191212_194020.jpg

Only the PSU cable was touching the GPU upon further investigation, now nothing is touching it. Only floating above the GPU.
I think that should work....and it's good the cable isn't touching.
Even though the cable "can" touch the GPU (because it's insulated).....I have seen where....over time.....vibration of something touching a cable can actually wear through the insulation on the cable.