[SOLVED] can and arris sb8200 be used with only a single Gigabit port>

Starnet

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I currently have an Arris SB6190 single gigabit port being used with a Net FVS318GV2 which does not support link aggragation. I would like too switch out the SB6190 with a SB8200 and initially use it with the FVS318 with only one of the 2 ports until I can upgrade the router to a netgear SRX5308 which can take advantage of the dual ports on the 8200. My big thing is i dont want to switch out the 6190 now and suffer a dregradation of my current service. It would be nice to switch to the new modem and sell off the 6190 to get me some cash for the new router but I dont want to shoot myself in the foot. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks

Solution
Your ISP has be willing to support the new modem. They are the ones that provide the firmware updates so they tend to not have a large list of devices they support. Check the supported list.

Next the SB8200 is a docsis 3.1 unit. The ISP has to be using 3.1 where you live . They also as pointed out above need to over more that 1gbit which is not very common.

I would replace your router first. That unit is very old and because it also is primarily a vpn box I suspect it does not have a feature modern devices have that allow it offload the nat to a hardware accelerator. It says in the documentation it has 250mbps throughput. Not sure if this mean maximum or when it is running vpn.

In any case they have not supported it...

kanewolf

Titan
I currently have an Arris SB6190 single gigabit port being used with a Net FVS318GV2 which does not support link aggragation. I would like too switch out the SB6190 with a SB8200 and initially use it with the FVS318 with only one of the 2 ports until I can upgrade the router to a netgear SRX5308 which can take advantage of the dual ports on the 8200. My big thing is i dont want to switch out the 6190 now and suffer a dregradation of my current service. It would be nice to switch to the new modem and sell off the 6190 to get me some cash for the new router but I dont want to shoot myself in the foot. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks
Do you have a WAN package with greater than 1 Gbit service?

Your ISP has be willing to support the new modem. They are the ones that provide the firmware updates so they tend to not have a large list of devices they support. Check the supported list.

Next the SB8200 is a docsis 3.1 unit. The ISP has to be using 3.1 where you live . They also as pointed out above need to over more that 1gbit which is not very common.

I would replace your router first. That unit is very old and because it also is primarily a vpn box I suspect it does not have a feature modern devices have that allow it offload the nat to a hardware accelerator. It says in the documentation it has 250mbps throughput. Not sure if this mean maximum or when it is running vpn.

In any case they have not supported it for over 3 years so no bug fixes.

>>>>also go read about port aggregation 802.3ad and how it selects the paths it does not work they way many people think it does.

Solution

Starnet

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I know that Comcast/Xfinity does support the 8200 and I will be switching levels of service once I have the new modem and router in place. My big issue I have so far is if I install the new modem with 2 links one not being used will I still get the level of service I get now with the single link. I currently get about 200mbs over the one link, if I put in the 8200 will it immediately split between the 2 and since one will not be initially connected I would end up with only 100mbs.

So I have the sb6190 and a FVS318N at one of my sites. With a 600/15 plan from comcast, the FVS318N is topping out at just under 500Mbps, which I believe is its limit.

The sb6190 can support a gigabit connection (like you have), but the fvs318 series won't. I believe the SRX5308 does support gigabit, so that will work for multiple 1Gbps connections.

However, as bill001g has mentioned, unless your isp supports multi-gig via the 8200, it is a waste of money to get it now. You will not harm your current speeds, but until you have replaced your fvs318, you won't even get the full bandwidth of what you currently have. I would do that first and then focus on adding more gigabit connections.