Can and should computer peripherals be cleaned with 75% isopropyl alcohol

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Can computer peripherals e.g. mouse and keyboards ,screen etc be cleaned safely with 75% isopropyl alcohol?
And should it be done so? is it necessary to keep them in good condition

Reactions: davidstreet

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Can computer peripherals e.g. mouse and keyboards ,screen etc be cleaned safely with 75% isopropyl alcohol?
And should it be done so? is it necessary to keep them in good condition
Yes you can, carefully. Obviously you don't want any residual to be left behind on an electrical surface.
90+ % is better for electronics as it will evaporate almost immediately.

Is it necessary? IMO, not really.
Worst case just give it a quick wipe down after each day and you'll never have to do a big clean.

Reactions: brannsiu
I dont really recommend using it on peripherals, there are some materials that lose their coating. But for the most part, yeah its fine but not really necessary.
Monitors I would not use it on.

A damp cloth works fine for peripherals, not like you are rubbing any circuitry.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I agree with Gam3r01,
I would not recommend using isopropyl alcohol to clean your mouse and keyboard.
I personally use water with a small amount of dish soap in it (to cut any grease/oil) to clean my keyboard and mouse.
I just wipe the mouse with a damp wash cloth and for the keyboard I use Q-tips dipped in the slightly soapy water.
Then after cleaning them, I wipe them again with the rag dipped in clean water.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I sometimes a quick wipe with damp cloth too but just often feel so sticky to hand (I mean the mouse), I don't often eat (in fact don't actually eat) when using computer,
the mouse (mouse in particular) and keyboard feels so sticky/ oily