Discussion Can any message be marked as BEST ANSWER/Best Solution by staff/admin, apart from the Original Poster ?

Hello everyone,

First of all, bear with me on this matter since I'm not familiar with this Forum feature. I just find this is bit surprising and odd though. Anyway, recently some of my old messages/posts posted under several different Topics were marked as the BEST Solution/answer by one Tom's Hardware STAFF Member, @ErVivek.

I presume he is the Admin/staff member over here, right ?

Obviously, he is not the Original Poster/OP, so my question is, can others especially Tom's Staff/ADMIN/Manager/MODs mark anyone else's post as the Best answer, and mark the thread as SOLVED as well in the process ? I thought only the OP had this privilege/right, but can STAFF members also do this ?

I guess the answer is obviously YES, since they have the full Admin rights as well ? Those are OLD topics/threads though.

There is no issue here, nor am I complaining here either. I was just curious to learn about this, so I hope you guys can answer me. Not a big deal though. :)(y) Did I miss something here, or I was totally wrong ? I think this happened few months ago as well.

Screenshot-2022-01-13-at-07-34-41-Alerts.png

These are the links of some of the Topics:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-drivers-are-installed.3718050/#post-22416646

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/recommended-gpu-for-240w-psu.3720760/#post-22433612

Thanks for reading, and my apologies for this stupid/awkward question as well. Lol.
Cheers, NICK.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
its a member of admin who marks old posts as Best Answer so that they are still found in searches.

the means to give a BA isn't obvious or most of the members of forums wouldn't have a link to a thread I made showing how to do it, in their sigs. So to prevent a lot of good answers being ignored, they mark posts from about 6 months ago as Best Answer, if they are. Most of my 9300 BA are from them really.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i have no way of telling really, but i wouldn't go that far.
Its a fair percentage of the ones awarded in the last 3 years, it may have been more users awarding them before we swapped forum software.

I have a screenshot of how many posts/BA I had today 3 years ago. I have only gained half as many BA in that time compared to previous with as many posts added. So its a sign that people still can't find the trophy... or I just don't know anything anymore :)

Feb 13th 2019 6321 BA, 24998 replies
now 9338 BA, 50731 replies.

My BA total may have changed by time you read this as they still awarding them now.

Last edited:
Its a fair percentage of the ones awarded in the last 3 years, it may have been more users awarding them before we swapped forum software.

Btw, does every other Forum Member of Tom's Hardware community over here also gets the same BA votes from some ADMIN, like I got recently ? Not talking about Forum MODS here, just the regular and old forum members/users who browse and use this entire Forum.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The answers have to be right, or close to right. They don't just reward for effort.

it could be seen as a way to reward those that answer questions. Most of the trophies are for the people trying to help, not those asking questions, unless they stick around and help... like I did 6 years ago.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
There actually have been two of them doing that work. And now only one ...
There is at least one good reason to do that. A lot of newcomers just hop into the forum, ask a quick question, get a quick answer, and then they leave without even knowing they are supposed to mark an answer as best. Makes sense to 'fix' that.